New porch and toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to build a small porch with a downstairs toilet. It would be about 8 feet by 8 feet. My worry is that it would cover an existing storm drain. Can this be used for the toilet or isn't that allowed. What are the rules for covering drains?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ok first off ...where i am if the porch has a toilet is is then an extention so requires building regs and or planning application.

Do you mean a Manhole or inspection hole. .... i have seen it done i dont know what the regulations are. From what i have read in the past you can ...as long as it is your private one and not serving other houses and that you use a screwdown sealed unit.

Thanks for reply. I am pretty sure I mean an inspection cover. It is one of those square things that you can use to clear a blockage? Sorry to be vague. It only serves my house.

I wanted to build a small porch with a downstairs toilet. It would be about 8 feet by 8 feet. My worry is that it would cover an existing storm drain. Can this be used for the toilet or isn't that allowed. What are the rules for covering drains?
Thanks.

using the storm drain for the toilet waste would depend on the existing configuration of your system.

The two major types of drains are the sanitary drain, which receives the sanitary and domestic wastes, and the storm drain, which receives only that waste which is drawn off when it rains. Often the discharges from both these drains are kept separate and are drawn off to different terminuses--the sanitary drain to the main sewer or septic tank, the storm drain to a nearby lake, river, or other natural drainage area. However, in many cases, both soil and storm stacks fall into a common or combination drain and flow together into the sewage system.

Sponsored Links
a storm drain is for CLEAN water not WASTE water as it is.Got any pics???.

I don't have a picture, but the waste from a downstairs bathroom used to run into this drain until it was taken away. Now the only thing that goes into this is water from a gutter on the roof. It joins the main drain in less than 2 metres which takes the waste from kitchen, upstairs bathroom.

I don't have a picture, but the waste from a downstairs bathroom used to run into this drain until it was taken away. Now the only thing that goes into this is water from a gutter on the roof. It joins the main drain in less than 2 metres which takes the waste from kitchen, upstairs bathroom.

When you say the waste from the upstairs bathroom does that include the toilet. If not its a clean water drain as opposed to a foul water drain and you couldnt use is for your intended new toilet.

Thanks.

There is no problem with building over a drain provided adequate measures are taken to protect the drain from any push from the building.

Storm drains can not take foul waste.

However, a foul drain that happens to be taking storm water, can.

Provided the drains are not prohibitively deep then i can see no problems with re-hashing the existing drain to suit. You will need to ensure that all foundation trenches are deeper than any drain invert within a close proximity to the foundations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back