New roof replacement quote seems very high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone I had a new roof quote to replace the pitched main roof on my semi detached house as I have a leaking area above the back bedroom. The current roof has no membrane and the loft is very cold. I had a quote from a good quality roofer in the area but the quote is over £14000 to replace roof guttering and facia boards this seems very high to me, it does include a 10 year guarante. I have attached this quote please could someone advise if this quote is too high and what approximate price it should be. I live in northwest london thank you for the advice

Attachments

• 7941D66E-2047-4EA7-AADB-8CB59D719E69.jpeg
    7941D66E-2047-4EA7-AADB-8CB59D719E69.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 361018CF-B531-4CD3-9865-F0C6C96C2A8F.jpeg
    361018CF-B531-4CD3-9865-F0C6C96C2A8F.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Get 3 quotes on recommendations...try your local roofing merchant they will point you in the right direction of who the good guys are.
Checkatrade and the likes are self serving and are a breeding ground for cowboys.

The Limited business is 9 1/2 years old

3 directors - is it father, son, wife as company secretary

director of 4 businesses: 1 struck off, one insolvent (very similar name), one still live appears to be property development.

registered office appears to be home address.

Facebook page has some images of work

Nothing really bad, no serious alarm bells but checkatrade is a no no.

My tip: drive around the streets where you live, if you see an extension etc going up: stop and ask the builder if he knows a good roofer.

My tip: drive around the streets where you live, if you see an extension etc going up: stop and ask the builder if he knows a good roofer.

Or the OP could tell people which city they live in. Then a regular member might be able to recommend a local company.

Nothing really bad, no serious alarm bells but checkatrade is a no no.

They might well be a reputable company, but my concern is that a reputable company would be flooded with work, so why need to involve the likes of Checkatrade at all?

They might well be a reputable company, but my concern is that a reputable company would be flooded with work, so why need to involve the likes of Checkatrade at all?

Looking at the quote, I suspect that they might sub out some of the work. The reviews are largely positive, but I have seen work done by people on Checkatrade with a glowing rating and the customer has asked me to repaint the whole room as soon as the guy with a 100% rating had finished.

I have direct experience... a few years ago, she what scowls at me, decided to use one of those websites to get some bloke to repaint a hallway that I had previously painted. He charged her 5 days labour. A week later, she asked me to repaint the hallway. I had to sand the emulsion because of the massive build up in texture. What would have taken me 4 days if I did it from scratch took me 8 days to paint and get it back to the original quality of finish.

I do know tradesmen that get work from those kind of sites but I would never recommend those sites.

The tradesmen above, although skilled seem to adopt a get-in-get-out attitude. I have seen them drop the quality of finish lower than if they were recommended directly by one of the builders that I know.

That said, I am being unfair to the decent tradesmen that use those sites. There but for the grace of God go I, and all that, but I have never needed to sign up to them, equally, I have never advertised. I like the fact that my customers vet potential customers. If their friend is a PITA, my customer will give me a heads up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back