New roofing tactic sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all - Please can you share your knowledge.

My home if of 3 storeys with converted loft - plasterboard & skimmed. My difficulty is that whilst the slate roof is in good condition (reroofed in 1990) I believe, it lacks adequate insulation (thin layer circa 100mm) mineral wool.
Also I am unfortunately located 60 metres from a mobile phone mast, experiencing adverse health effects - tinnitus, fatigue & 2 young cats both died with cancer - independent radiation surveys confirming that 99.7% of the radiation within my home is from the adjacent mast & the roofline being closest to the mast antenna is the strongest point of entry.

Therefore & for 2 reasons I wish to consider a new roofing tactic - removing ridge, slates, battens & mineral wool and replacing with foil insulation, felt and reslating. This is perhaps the easier and cheaper option than to bring down the internal plasterboard, which at circa 110m2 would be a heft plaster bill.

My specific questions on which you advise is welcomed is:
* What specification of foil backed insulation should I look for?
* Can you purchase foil backed/metalised sarking felt.
* Would anyone have an idea on the going rate m2.

MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
Just an idea, strip the roof off, board it out with ply and then cover it with lead! that stuff even keeps out kriptonite! with the price of lead returning to normal now the chinkeys don't want it any more it might not be as expensive as you think(just do the side facing the mask)

The foil is not much use as insulation and even less use as a faraday cage to deflect all this radiation you are supposedly recieving.

If these reports are actually evidence that you are being harmed by these masts, then you should pursue a claim against the owners, and move when you get the compensation

For the insulation, you should use a rigid board such as celotex fully between the space between the rafters, and fit a breathable membrane instead of felt

I don't know about roofing, but the defence against RF leakage is fine wire mesh. It does not need to be thick, the stuff sold in garden centres would probably do.

I have been in places protected in this way, and your mobile phone loses all contact until you come out.

If you look up "TEMPEST SCREENING" on google or somewhere you should find articles about it.

Sponsored Links
Hi There is an insulation product used quite a lot a sort of quilt like material covered in foil, stapled to rafters ( The name of which escapes me) Some one here will know. It may suit as an insulation and radiation barrier. (once fitted in my experience you have difficulty getting a signal on the mobile phone from the property
Good Luck)

"Tri-Iso Super 10" is the product, buts its unproven and really should be used with other insulation and not as the manufacturers' guidelines

Hi There is an insulation product used quite a lot a sort of quilt like material covered in foil, stapled to rafters ( The name of which escapes me) Some one here will know.

Triso super 10 ;)

many thanks - i have emailed the suppliers to ask if they have undertaken any emf testing.

The price appears very expensive however at about £10 /m2 - much more than other multi foil quilt insulation products I have seen.

Sounds about the right price for Tri-Iso. There are always alternatives to any product and one that we always get sent info on is Superquilt 14. Which ever one you use you won't see that much difference in total cost really. Whilst it does sound expensive you have to comapre it with the product they are looking to replace, this being rigid insulation board at not much different cost per sq metre.

IIRC, there are significant overlaps required when installing tri-iso and the like, so 10m on the roll will only cover something like 8m on the roof

Doesn't this mesh/foil also need connecting to an earth point in order to work effectively ? ;)

There is foil backed kingspan type insulation that may well do what you require.
You may be better trying to connect each piece together I.E. solder them with wires (now that will be damned hard) to obtain the best protection from RF.

Doesn't this mesh/foil also need connecting to an earth point in order to work effectively ? ;)
Tempest Screening Mesh does not have to be earthed to form a screen.

However bonding it would be a reasonable safety precaution, I think, especially if it was in the region of metal pipes and so on that you might touch at the same time.

Dear all - Please can you share your knowledge.

My home if of 3 storeys with converted loft - plasterboard & skimmed. My difficulty is that whilst the slate roof is in good condition (reroofed in 1990) I believe, it lacks adequate insulation (thin layer circa 100mm) mineral wool.
Also I am unfortunately located 60 metres from a mobile phone mast, experiencing adverse health effects - tinnitus, fatigue & 2 young cats both died with cancer - independent radiation surveys confirming that 99.7% of the radiation within my home is from the adjacent mast & the roofline being closest to the mast antenna is the strongest point of entry.

Therefore & for 2 reasons I wish to consider a new roofing tactic - removing ridge, slates, battens & mineral wool and replacing with foil insulation, felt and reslating. This is perhaps the easier and cheaper option than to bring down the internal plasterboard, which at circa 110m2 would be a heft plaster bill.

My specific questions on which you advise is welcomed is:
* What specification of foil backed insulation should I look for?
* Can you purchase foil backed/metalised sarking felt.
* Would anyone have an idea on the going rate m2.

MANY THANKS

Why didn't you ask the people that's affected your life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back