New Shower, electric or Thermostatic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a combi boiler (potterton puma 100e - don't laugh :eek: ) that works ok as we had almost all of it replaced in January under warranty (PCBs, diverter valve, pump etc).

We have a bath and three other hot taps in the house plus the usual cold feed appliances.

We're looking to install a shower in the bathroom upstairs as there is currently only an electric shower downstairs which is not ideal, especially in the depths of winter with quarry tile floors. :cry:

The hot water performance of the Puma is ok, hot taps go hot, then cool off briefly, the the hot comes back and is fairly constant but its not exactly blistering performance and can take a while to stabilise. Running a bath takes quite some time.

I don't particularly want another electric shower, even though the one we have is a Mira Sport 10.8KW its not brilliant compared to a mixer shower.

Do you think we'd be unwise going for a thermostatic shower with such an old boiler? It's unlikely we'd ever have an appliance on when we'd be showering, someone might use another tap by accident but it would be a very rare event.

If we must go for an electric shower, does anyone know of a really good model to look at? All electric showers I have experienced have been Mira's, surely there must be something better out there by someone such as Grohe or Aqualisa? (We had an Aqualisa Quartz pumped shower in our last house, it was awesome)

If we could go for a thermostatic, does anyone know of any good ones that work well with old, wheezy combi's such as mine?

Lastly, with a new electric shower, what sort of performance are we likely to get litres/minute assuming you want a hot shower and not on full cold? (Have seen some dubious claims about 14l/min but have to assume thats with no heat at all and just flowing cold out)

Thanks in advance. :D

Sponsored Links
you can have another quartz digital shower on the system you have now as you liked your last one. why change.
i prefer the grohe to the aqualisa myself

the average electric shower will only give you about 6 litres/min

Thanks, the point I am trying to get to though is, can our rubbish old combi take such a shower?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back