new shower hose results in low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I'm new to this so would be grateful for any help offered.

Old shower hose was leaking badly, so I replaced it with a new one; a 'universal' one bought from a national diy store. No more leaks so pleased with that but the pressure at the shower head is now ridiculously low. I don't understand this at all.

Can anyone suggest what might be done (by me) to improve the pressure, please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fit a replacement hose that has the same internal diameter and length as the original......hoses for gravity systems are wider than those that deal with electric showers and pressure fed types.
John :)

ah, thank you. Do you know if there are more than 2 different possible diameters? The original hose was collected by the bin men a few days ago! If I take off the one I've just put on, would it be fairly obvious that I would just need to get 'the other' size?

Tried a quick search and found one with a bore of 6.7mm another of 8mm and even one at 12mm so it looks like there are all sorts of sizes out there. Fortunately they all seemed to have the same half inch screw end connectors.

Sponsored Links
Gosh, that's a bit of a nuisance! If I try to measure the internal diameter of the actual shower head, that, I would think give me a clue at least. Would you agree?

The bigger the better really, but your shower head will dictate how much water will flow.
For what it's worth, the hoses with the external coiled chrome surround seem to have smaller inner than the plastic ones.....I doubt the DIY sheds would have all the diameters in stock though.
John :)

Thanks very much. Your advice is really appreciated. I will try to get a plastic coated hose tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again!

I got a big bore one from Amazon. Far more than the small bore unfortunately. They should just make them all the bigger size, can't see any reason for a smaller pipe when the head could dictate the flow if it needs to be restricted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back