new shower tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I helped a friend install a new shower. 7.8-8.5kW. 6mm cable (already there), new 40A MCB + 30ma RCD pod (effectively an RCBO). Just got a text to say it's tripping. It trips after being on for a few minutes.
In theory, the cable should be good for 46A. He said it did not run through thermal insulation, but i did not check this.
Question is: what's the most likely cause? If it does run through thermal insulation - reducing the current-carrying capacity, would this trip an RCBO? I guess the other problem could be that the insulation resistance is low but this may not have shown up on the old shower which was only protected by a 32A MCB. Any advice appreciated.

I don't have a tester and would like to get the thing working before the test are carried out.

Thanks so.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried powering up without the POD in place just using the MCB?

If it does not trip here it is fairly safe to say your have an earth fault, or a faulty pod (don't like them myself).

I personally would have replaced that cable with 10mm, it is just the way i am.

You really need to test the cable anyway, you should not energise a circuit prior to testing.

Who is going to test it anyway?

True Prentice but sometimes you get the feeling that people don't want to and the 'Tester' coming is totally fictitious!!!

Sponsored Links
True Prentice but sometimes you get the feeling that people don't want to and the 'Tester' coming is totally fictitious!!!

Yeh, you'd also think that considering the location and the possible dangers, that would be the first thing on the agenda. Not lets get it going then test it :confused:

...so what happens when the Council come in to test and it's not working? Anyway, can you two get a room. You're not helping.

Thinking about your safety mate, I don't know if your pal was an electrician or if you are what?
was it notifiable work?
who's signed it off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back