new shower...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just bought a 9.8k mira elite 2 pumped electric shower. at present i have a triton t70i shower installed. i have very low water pressure which is the reason for getting rid of the old shower.
the new one draws 45amps, and i cannot find what the old one draws. basically im hoping that someone is going to tell me what the new shower needs, i.e. cabling, fuses, etc.
at a guess i think the old shower will be drawing less but i dont know that for sure.
the cable run is approx 7m from the fuse bow which is an old one with wire fuses not rcd's.
hope someone can help.

Sponsored Links
look at the rating plate at the bottom of the old shower, or inside the shower. And the rating of the fuse. Chances are, its on a 30A fusewire. Recommend a new consumer unit anyway - that fuse box is probably too old / low rated to wire in this new shower, and 45A fuse wire / MCBs are very hard to get for these units. Does the fuse box have a max. load on it?

whats the cable CSA and fuse rating? and how is the cable installed (clipped direct, thru insulation etc)

and for your own safety, you should have the shower on an RCD

just looked at the fuse box. the shower is on a 45A fuse already and the box says that max load is not to exceed 60A, is it possible to put a rcd between the shower and that fuse? and i assume that just because the existing shower is on a 45A fuse that does not guarantee that the exisiting cable is substantial enough for the new shower. also the cable is clipped through the roof space and down into a cavity wall.

Sponsored Links
scottfc said:
just looked at the fuse box. the shower is on a 45A fuse already and the box says that max load is not to exceed 60A, is it possible to put a rcd between the shower and that fuse? and i assume that just because the existing shower is on a 45A fuse that does not guarantee that the exisiting cable is substantial enough for the new shower.

yes, you can add a mini CU with RCD. you must still check the existing wiring before connecting a larger load (or even the same load!)

and by the way guys, thank you for the very swift response, it is much appreciated.

i guess im right in thinking that it is always best to go cautious with these things. i will just replace the cable anyway, its a dead easy run, just need to know whats the right size cable to go with?

thankyou all very much. just made that all very simple. cheers.

colport27 said:
10mm
My shortest post ever.
think mine was 2 letters - "no"

BTW, a 45A fuse in a household fusebox rated at 60A - doesn't this set alarm bells ringing? Or am I just being over-cautious? :rolleyes:

Well Crafty, about 50% of the posts on here probably set alarms ringing, this may be one of the longest running posts so far, with something like 10 replies that as yet hasnt mentioned Pert Flippin P.

You have to understand why some of the people on here take offence at the fact that people get provided with information to carry out the work required, yet the Part P brigade have had to fork out all that money to be able to carry the work out legally.

when i looked at it i did think that 45A on one fuse didnt seem far off the 60A limit. the flat is very small, does that have any baring on this?

scottfc said:
when i looked at it i did think that 45A on one fuse didnt seem far off the 60A limit. the flat is very small, does that have any baring on this?
what other circuits do you have on that box? and the ratings?

crafty1289 said:
scottfc said:
what other circuits do you have on that box? and the ratings?
hmmm, think this job just got a lot bigger! there is a 30A fuse, a 15 and a 5. it says that they are sockets, immersion and lights respectively.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back