new shower...

You should be Ok with that setup.

I was concerned you had a house with 3 ringmains and an electric cooker etc. In which case that box would be unsuitable.

Sponsored Links
colport27 said:
Service fuse is possibly only 60A, just to add to the confusion.
having just looked at all that, and if the service fuse is only 60A surely its a fluke that i have not been having problems already?

crafty1289 said:
You should be Ok with that setup.

I was concerned you had a house with 3 ringmains and an electric cooker etc. In which case that box would be unsuitable.
na, its a two bed flat, with a grand total of 13 sockets.

scottfc said:
colport27 said:
having just looked at all that, and if the service fuse is only 60A surely its a fluke that i have not been having problems already?

my house only has a 40A fuse (ive had it out before, has no seals). and it survives with a 9.5KW shower aswell as other loads. + electric cooker. almost 10 years down the line and no problem...

Sponsored Links
andy said:
my house only has a 40A fuse (ive had it out before, has no seals). and it survives with a 9.5KW shower aswell as other loads. + electric cooker. almost 10 years down the line and no problem...

Why not change it for a bigger one while you had it out?

scottfc said:
colport27 said:

Not really, its supprising how resiliant they are, looking at my chart here a 60A service fuse will take 100A for half an hour before opening, and I'd bet that any over load that big is short lived

That said a service upgrade to 80A/100A and a new CU wouldn't go amiss...

All through this post I have been trying to think of the experiments done at college........where you pump more and more ampege through a piece of fuse wire until it blows.
Ok, so im old now (grey hairs etc), but I do remember being rather surprised by how much more current over their rating they could take.

crafty1289 said:
andy said:

Why not change it for a bigger one while you had it out?

1: its managed OK so far. if it goes, itll probably get replace with a 80/100

2: i had it out to change the isolator and didnt see the point in changing it

Why fix it til it`s broke attitude?

Not that I`m saying there is anything wrong with that before I am shot down.....lol.

OK, we're all talking about having low service fuses and higher rated consumer units . . .

now the opposite . . . where i work, there is a 3ph 100A incoming supply (only installed 3 years ago), and the main breaker for the whole shop is a C63 :eek:

we have big fridges, air con, freezers, lights, im surprised its never tripped. And it was expanded recently, an additional DB added, for a coldroom, another air con, another freezer, more lights etc. :eek:

crafty1289 said:
now the opposite . . . where i work, there is a 3ph 100A incoming supply (only installed 3 years ago), and the main breaker for the whole shop is a C63 :eek:

er... why is the main incomer a MCB?

andy said:
crafty1289 said:

er... why is the main incomer a MCB?
you tell me?? its a 3-phase C63 as the main switch of about a 6 to 8-way 3ph board. This board got full a few months ago, so they decided to add on another board using another C63 in the original DB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back