New skimming help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had the room plaster boarded and skimmed two months ago, and I have just put a 50/50 mist coat of emulsion paint on it. It soaked it up well, and it dried ok.

My question is, now it`s dry when I run my hand over the surface my hand has like emulsion dust on it. Is this correct, and will it stop when I give it a second watered down coat.

Thanks
Dave :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
50% is too thin; 25-30% is all you need; what paint did you use? Give it another couple of coats in quick sucession, let that dry & then apply your chosen paint finish.

50% is too thin; 25-30% is all you need; what paint did you use? Give it another couple of coats in quick sucession, let that dry & then apply your chosen paint finish.

Hi Richard,

I am using matt emulsion from B&Q. Because i am doing the whole house i got a couple of very large tubs.

I am using a pain brush for the first couple of coats, then i will use a roler, is this correct.

Thanks

Dave.

Sponsored Links
I am using matt emulsion from B&Q. Because i am doing the whole house i got a couple of very large tubs.
It’s all I use for wash coats; the dusting may just be a result of you thinning too much, go over it again with a 25-30% mix. For future ref. when wash coating, put on 2/3 coats in quick succession it keeps the plaster wet & helps with paint adhesion.

I am using a pain brush for the first couple of coats, then i will use a roler, is this correct.
What ever is good for you really; I usually do it the other way around, roller on the mist coats, then a large brush for the finish coats which I also thin slightly. I prefer to use a brush as I find they make less mess, are easier to clean & give a better finish. All the rollers I’ve tried tend to give a stipple effect on thicker finish coats & this can build up to look a bit like a mild attack of Artex after a few redecorations. I’m not a pro decorator though, usually just confined to the refinishing of my own plastering work. I’m sure most pro decs will use high quality rollers though; if you doing it for a living, time if of the essence ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back