new standards from 1/4/2024

Sponsored Links
Just living down to my moniker: I think it was Richard Dimbleby who showed the spaghetti trees (on television).
Yes, you're right - it may not be in my moniker, but I'm plenty old enough to make mistakes in remembering people's first names :)

However, on this occasion I know exactly how the error arose. My very first thought was that it was Raymond Baxter who had been responsible for the 'spaghetti trees'(I seem to recall that they were bushes/'hedges'!) - but I then remembered that it was actually "Dimbleby", but forgot to 'change' the first name ;)

Although nothing to do with April 1st, another famous demonstration of the potential impact of 'untruths' being broadcast on national radio/TV was the 'incident' aided and abetted by Orson Welles in the late 30s !

Kind Regards,
John

Yes, you're right - it may not be in my moniker, but I'm plenty old enough to make mistakes in remembering people's first names :)

However, on this occasion I know exactly how the error arose. My very first thought was that it was Raymond Baxter who had been responsible for the 'spaghetti trees'(I seem to recall that they were bushes/'hedges'!) - but I then remembered that it was actually "Dimbleby", but forgot to 'change' the first name ;)

Although nothing to do with April 1st, another famous demonstration of the potential impact of 'untruths' being broadcast on national radio/TV was the 'incident' aided and abetted by Orson Welles in the late 30s !

Kind Regards,
John
If it's any consolation I too thought it was Raymond Baxter and remembered the recording being on lower branches, more like brambles or peas so I wonder if there were 2 versions.

If it's any consolation I too thought it was Raymond Baxter ....
Definitely some consolation - maybe a case of 'great minds' :)
....and remembered the recording being on lower branches, more like brambles or peas so I wonder if there were 2 versions.
My recollection, from all those decades ago, is of spaghetti draped over what looked like hedges.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have no doubts about the authenticity of the clip.

April 57 I'd have been under 2 years of age and I believe we didn't have a TV so I'm certainly not remembering the original event.

I'm probably barking completely up the wrong tree (no pun intended) but I feel I remember this low row of bush on a frame or wires (think someone's allotment and no more than chest height) and a man in a suit carrying this
1680472632303.png
style of microphone, walking up to the woman to interview her. I'll go along with Johns description of hedge.

Of course I don't find anything else with Google.

I'm probably barking completely up the wrong tree (no pun intended) but I feel I remember this low row of bush on a frame or wires (think someone's allotment and no more than chest height) and a man in a suit carrying this ..... style of microphone, walking up to the woman to interview her. I'll go along with Johns description of hedge.
That's certainly what I recall.

Kind Regards, John

I was only 6, but I do remember it.
And I was only 7, but I also think that I remember it.

I say "think", because snippets of it has been re-shown on TV countless times in the ensuing 65+ years - so I could be 'remembering' those 're-plays', rather than the original transmission! ... similar to the Orson Welles radio thing. 1938 was over a decade before I was born, but I 'remember' some of it on the basis of subsequent 'replays'.

Kind Regards, John

I more remember my dads reaction to it than the actual TV program, I think it caught him, and he did not like being caught out. And I was caught out with the new cables, I was netted in hook, line, and sinker.

Seem to remember there was one on the government hiding details of life on mars too, it was shown later in the year, but the date made was shown as April 1st.

Not looked at smart meter add with guy clapping hands turning lights on/off, was that made April 1st as well?

This has been a funny one in some ways, firstly Ireland have been this way as I understand it since about 2107 and there was some discussion about introducing it here a year or two back, April 1st is a fairly normal date for such updates so it was basically a reasonable update up to that point. I didn't understand the stuff about allowing for nail damage, it didn't make sense but... so I let it slide over my head.

The part that didn't make any sense to me was the MI cable in Scotland, I simply can't understand that anyone would even consider it to be an option, however the rest had an element of truth to it and I wondered if an old form of cable had been resurrected (lead sheathed with woven asbestos insulation) so again let it slide over my head.

Yes Initially I fell for it, even after doing a search for the BS No. and finding only a link to the video but I didn't look very hard, certainly didn't progress it like John.

It's been interesting to see a number welcomed the change though.

.... firstly Ireland have been this way as I understand it since about 2107 ...
My goodness, I didn't realise that Ireland was so far 'ahead' of the rest of us :) ;) ;)
... April 1st is a fairly normal date for such updates so it was basically a reasonable update up to that point. I didn't understand the stuff about .... The part that didn't make any sense to me was the MI cable in Scotland, ...
As I implied before, what I found difficult to understand is why some people seemed to believe that, even if the video were true, the introduction of a new Standard for cables would/could alter wiring practices/'requirements', which, as we know, are dictated by BS 7671 - which is not due for another Amendment, let alone a new edition, for quite a while.

Kind Regards, John

My goodness, I didn't realise that Ireland was so far 'ahead' of the rest of us :) ;) ;)
Have I misunderstood that too? I'm under the impression (from comment on this site) that they have to use insulated earth and no coloured sleeve markers to BS6193
As I implied before, what I found difficult to understand is why some people seemed to believe that, even if the video were true, the introduction of a new Standard for cables would/could alter wiring practices/'requirements', which, as we know, are dictated by BS 7671 - which is not due for another Amendment, let alone a new edition, for quite a while.

Kind Regards, John
I'm out of touch with due dates, however the amendments seem to happen every other week... as does Christmas as I've got older

Have I misunderstood that too?
Yes, you have totally misunderstood (my post) - you didn't pay enough attention to the 'multiple smilies' or what I had emboldened in my quote of your post!! I was just teasing you about your typo :)
I'm under the impression (from comment on this site) that they have to use insulated earth and no coloured sleeve markers to BS6193
I am under the same impression. However, as I wrote, if that had been the case "...since about 2107", Ireland must be 'very far ahead'of the rest of us :)
I'm out of touch with due dates, however the amendments seem to happen every other week... as does Christmas as I've got older
If there were doing to be a further amendment of BS7617 next April, we would know about it by now (i.e. there would have been 'DPOC's etc.). The first 'significant' amendment appeared about 4 years after BS7671:2018 - so, if that pattern continues, the next might be around 2026.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back