New Television Point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, i am changing the position of my TV to the other side of my living room. At present i only have 1 tv point which will be no good.

Basically i want a tv point over the other side of my room, and wondered the best way to do this?

I live in a bungalow and wondered if i could split the cable in the loft and run it to a new position using adapters??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The Y shaped cheap adapters you might get at a DIY store or Maplin will divide the signal but also halve the signal level to both outputs. That's not a good idea with Freeview digital TV. Low signal level causes picture and sound problems; pixelisation, freezes etc

If I'm doing this for a customer I'd normally install a loft amplifier. This takes the aerial signal and uses a powered amplifier to give several additional outputs. The kind I use allows me to feed TV, FM, DAB and Sky around the home, but that might be more than you want.

A good alternative is a Masthead amp with remote power supply. These can be bought in 2-way, 4-way and more versions. Have a look at this thread for info about masthead amps and remote power supplies.

The other way of doing it is to cut the aerial lead supplying the old TV point and join up the cable to the new TV point.

Thanks for your reply Chris, i will have a look at these amplifiers.

Otherwise if i was to cut the cable to the existing point and join to a new point, would i just buy male and female ends and join the cable like that? Would this still maintain the same level of signal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as your plugs were put on correctly then joining the cable will lose hardly any signal at all.

The easiest type of plugs to use are the normal RF TV aerial type. Get the ones that are all aluminium rather than the naff half plastic versions. These plugs can be bought in male and female. Get one of each rather than two males so you don't have to bother with a back-to-back joiner.

There are plenty of guides online about the best way to put on an RF plug if you want a refresher before tackling the job. Google and find the one from Satcure. It has pictures.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back