New upvc Door gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a new upvc front door and frame fitted to the storm porch of the house which has glass panels across the top and on either side of the door. The job was done by a national upvc company.

We were asked to inspect the finished job and I queried the uneven gap around the door. The gap at the top & bottom of the door is parallel but the gaps at the side of the doors aren't. Its narrower at the top right and bottom left corners than it is at the top left and bottom right corners. The door appears to close correctly.

I pointed this out to the fitter who said it wasn't adjustable - which it wouldn't be as it would throw the top and bottom gaps out - and when I spoke to his "boss" on the phone he said "we are allowed a 3mm tolerance around doors so it's within spec" The visible difference is probably around 3mm.

Has anyone heard of this "tolerance" he referred to and if there is some Industry Specification that lists what is and what isn't allowed .. or was he just BS me ?

Is there anyway I can get the installation checked to see if it has been done right ?

thanks

PS I withheld some of the money until I am happy it's fitted correctly

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back