New UPVC door into new porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being seriously let down by a number of unreliable trades I'm left with a DIY job on my hands. I've just taken delivery of a composite door in UPVC frame, which is 940mm wide and was measured and ordered by one of those trades. The door is to fit into a newly built porch, which is weather tight other than fitting the door. The porch has a brick low wall and UPVC windows above. The "hole" for the porch is 965mm wide. I've removed the door from the frame (because it was too heavy to move) and offered the frame up to the porch and there's a sizeable gap on the vertical sides of the frame. The gap (total of 25mm) seems to be bigger than the biggest frame spacers which are 10mm. The guy who was going to fix the door, before disappearing, mentioned he would have used "H" profile joiners to attach the door frame to the adjacent window frames.
How should I install the door frame, what fixings should I use to attach it to the brick & UPVC, how should I fill the gap around the edge?

Sponsored Links
Do you know the make of the door?
They normally come with destructions with preferred fixings and fixing positions.
You could also try contacting the supplier or manufacturer for some aluminum door couplers with pvc caps. These are usually about 11mm each which would leave yo a few mm for expansion this gap can be filled with expanding foam.

In future if you are struggling to find good people try to get solid recommendations of trades people from family or friends. Ask to see pics of their work then ask for contact details of some of the trickier looking jobs for reference.

Did the door come with any knock on? A 15mm strip that clips into the frame (hinge side) also the h section needs to be bought/found, this keeps the frames in line and covers the joint. Bit weird fitting the door last but hey ho, I always fit composites still in the outer frame, they have to be fitted a lot more carefully than a normal upvc door. I get the bottom level, then pack the hinge side up 1 blue packer and fix up this side plumb, then check how the door closes/locks and normally pack the other side if required 1x bluethen fix this side plumb too. If you don't have the h-section fit the frames level and trim afterwards with d section inside and out

Fix to brick with rapier concrete fixings and to upvc with 5.0 x 70mm wood screws with a 4mm pre drilled hole.

Sponsored Links
Annoyingly, this farce started with some excellent tradesfolk who used a subby for parts of their work - which seemed to work well. The excellent trades weren't interested in something as small as a porch build so recommended their subby. It all went downhill from there.
Is there anywhere you know of who sells the aluminium coupling? Had a hunt around on the net but no joy.

Not much point if there's a wall either side, get a 15 mm knock on and use upvc h section. The Ali coupler should really be from the same profile, but if the composite door is a different profile to the frames then it might not be useful

Annoyingly, this farce started with some excellent tradesfolk who used a subby for parts of their work - which seemed to work well. The excellent trades weren't interested in something as small as a porch build so recommended their subby. It all went downhill from there.
Is there anywhere you know of who sells the aluminium coupling? Had a hunt around on the net but no joy.

Do you know the make of the door (it may be printed on the frame somewhere or stamped on the edge of the door)?
Was there any paperwork with the door?
Do you know the make of the windows? (its normally on the protective tape if you still have it).

Its probably worth trying a few local window company's to ask them to fit it for you as they will probably have everything needed in stock anyway.

If you really want to fit it yourself you can try local window company's for the parts you need or a local PVC trade store like Eurocell.
With composite doors they need to be fitted 100% level, Square and plum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back