New uPVC vs old uPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have uPVC fitted throughout our 3 Bed semi. It was fitted when we moved in over 7 years ago and didn't look particularly new then so i'm guessing it's well over ten years old.

I was considering replacing some or all of the windows but only if I was likely to see improvements in efficency and sound insulation.

Can any of you chaps comment on modern uPVC compared to units from say 10-15 years ago.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As a DIYer I am not knowledgeable enough to advise on the thermal and sound insulation properties in later designs but, you already have D/G panels and, in my opinion, the UPVC structure's efficiency will only contribute marginally to it's performance. However, your old frames are likely (not exclusively) to be externally glazed and it seems, from a security aspect, modern frames, which are usually internally glazed, are much preferred.

you will see an improvement in heat insulation

however new windows are so expensive that it is not an economic proposition

(e.g. you might spend £5,000 on new windows and save £100 a year)

But if you need new windows for some other reason, the saving on energy is an added benefit.

Consider lined curtains to the floor (unless windows have rads under them)

To save energy, thick loft insulation, and cavity wall insulation, save the most money and cost far less than windows

Lagging pipes and hot water cylinder, and draughtpoofing, have the fastest payback and cash return on cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back