new water mains to new extension

Hey bud.

I can get pics up tomorrow if needed, nothing has been dug yet though.

We are on a shared supply, 3 houses. They explained if all 3 houses were to agree to go back on the same setup, with plastic then it would of been free.

But as we are asking to seperate ours, that cost covers the digging and valve installation and making good the footpath. I did ring them to check as it seemed odd till i was told why.

It would of been more but the water run is our side of the road thankfully. I could skip all this work and tap onto old supply but id have to locate it, guarantee the job and accept the water supply issues so i decided to go this route.

I wont deny i thought it would be free also.

South staff's have been out and spray painted where they want to pipe leaving and they have sent me detailed drawings on the regs and different ways i can install it into the property.

We have just had the go ahead from the council in regards to planning etc and all the detailed drawings have been done for the extension. Waiting on the builder right now so i am just doing the stuff that will help going forward

Sponsored Links
Plastic stop tap should be fine underground, although be aware the Water Co should/will fit you a box at the boundary with integral stoptap and the tapping for a meter. (Any further stop tap on your property is your prerogative.)

If unhappy with Floplast, the JG Speedfit are also available through Screwfix, or BES are one stockist of Philmac. (www.bes.co.uk)

Yea i know they will fit one. I am only considering it for ease on my own property. I was thinking they will probably use a tap that will need a tool to shut on and off or something.

Sponsored Links
Plasson and Philmac are the best ones.

Plasson are a push fit with lock nut and Philmac are a compression fitting.

Yea i know they will fit one. I am only considering it for ease on my own property. I was thinking they will probably use a tap that will need a tool to shut on and off or something.

The type currently being fitted by Anglian, (cant see they'll be much different anywhere else), are fully integrated units, plastic 'T' handle just under the cover and turn off effortlessly.

They are ready for a meter to be fitted, although I am unsure if a meter is installed as normal practice or that depends on the customers preference. Meters are still optional as far as I am aware.

Optional in this case, we had the option when we put in the application. I would asume its a meter ready box though as you say.

Hi guys, i did not want to start a new thread about this i thought i would add onto this thread as it's kind of relative.

So we have our old extension knocked down, iv been digging around for the lead water mains supply and come across a problem. the old extension was built over the old outside tap isolator, when i had the concrete breaker in there i nearly went straight through it.

So we knew we were on a shared supply of 3 houses, i initially thought the run went down the side of the houses, and i have uncovered that the run is across the back of my house. it looks like i am in the middle. i planned on just cutting the lead out, fitting a plasson lead lock onto the lead and attach some MDPE into the new extension, all done outside the extension boundary for future access.

i cant see how we can get away from not building over it, either way, our neighbours need water, simple as. so all i can think is, leave the tap in place, turn it off and cap it off with a compression fitting, and fit some sort of access chamber for future.

Tap into the lead outside the perimiter of the extension with a new isolator and some mdpe..? ideally i would like to cut the tap out, join the pipe back together soldered so it needs no further access but not sure if people still do this?

A new mains connection is £1000, and this would still not solve the problem of a isolator inside our extension because of the neighbours pipework is there.

in the pictures you will also see the storm drain pipe run, i think we are fine with this as we are at the top of the run and the architect has suggested we just cap it off. there's an old clay pipe coming out the house from the kitchen, i cant get anything to come out of it. i checked it again today with the bad weather and nothing. i think it's from an old tin bath or something that used to be downstairs. they used to be located not far from that. not too concerned about this right now.
water pipe run.jpg

drainage and water.jpg

drainage2.jpg

Last edited:
You wouldn’t normally have an isolator there but I guess it’s a good idea.

I’d be tempted to replace all the lead under your extension with a single piece of MDPE, then to tee off to yourself (with or without a stoptap) outside of the extension.

The "old clay pipe" looks to me like it has a Hep-sleeve or similar. Is that black thing a rubber collar?

Maybe it's something else that's not seen in my area.

All that efflorescence suggests a long-term leak, or possibly from a washing machine, which leaves white marks from the soap content.

Hi guys.

The black collar is plastic im pretty sure. I will check it again tomorrow. The p ttap exit also has a black ring on it. May suggest the p-trap is newer and the clay pipe is original. There was bits of old broken clay pipe all in that area. I think its been replaced at some point.

As for cutting out the lead, its definitly a good idea, but this would mean j would need to cut it back to the boundary on the left, that we are joined to. I dont want to go digging up their garden, but i could do the connection on the boundary so future access is possible from their side. Does that sound right?

As for the white stuff, im not sure. We have been here 4 years with no issues, unless the waste was leaking into the cavity and iv never seen it. Funny though because the day we took the extension dow and broke the floor up, i remember i was suprised how wet it was near that air brick. And thats right by the domestic waste. I will check it out thats for pointing it out.

Isolators in gardens are common in this area. My moms has one and shes in the next council area. I remember suspecting there was one under there when we moved in.

As for cutting out the lead, its definitly a good idea, but this would mean j would need to cut it back to the boundary on the left, that we are joined to. I dont want to go digging up their garden, but i could do the connection on the boundary so future access is possible from their side. Does that sound right?

Yes, that sounds right to me.

The best thing to cut the Lead with is a normal cutter for plastic pipe, give it a good scrub first with a Brillo pad or similar and then cut and join it.

There are loads of fittings to go MDPE to Lead but my favourite are the Plasson Plass4’s like this:

https://store.jdpipes.co.uk/plasson-plass4-universal-coupling/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back