New windows or not not new windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,
I have enquired about handles windows repair as well as replacing fan vent in bathroom.
I am looking to get window cills / sills repaired.

Windows are aluminium double glazed and a great feature of the apartment.
As a quick breakdown, one bedroom flat with open plan lounge (3 large windows – 2 opening + small window (windows does open) within kitchen) and one bedroom (2 large windows – 1 opening) and one bathroom (1 large window – 1 opening)

I am aiming to get handles changed on all windows to add extra security and repair the broken one.
Fan from bathroom as it get freezing cold in winter.
Window sills, cills, as per regular maintenance – none done since I am in that flat.
I had quote in the past for new windows, and standard PVC are pretty reasonable, however, I believe that standard window will not bring any aesthetic value, except only a maintenance free product for the year to come, clear glass as some as misted, as well as better insulation( yes much better insulation according to windows sales man!!)
Should the advice be to go for new windows? Or can my aluminium windows still have life in their existence?
Lounge is located south so a bit of sun, and it get warm very quickly.
Bedroom is north and cooler but fine as it is better for night time.
Ultimately, if I was able to afford it, slide windows would be idea so to keep with the building existing features – but these are nearly as double prices.

PS – will new windows turn the flat into a gigantic sauna in the summer on a hot day?

Thanks

2016-03-08 17.22.05.jpg
2016-03-08 17.22.19.jpg
2016-03-08 17.22.28.jpg
2016-03-08 17.22.53.jpg
2016-03-08 17.23.05.jpg
2016-03-08 17.23.56.jpg
2016-03-08 17.24.40.jpg
Greetings,
I have enquired about handles windows repair as well as replacing fan vent in bathroom.
I am looking to get window cills / sills repaired.

Windows are aluminium double glazed and a great feature of the apartment.
As a quick breakdown, one bedroom flat with open plan lounge (3 large windows – 2 opening + small window (windows does open) within kitchen) and one bedroom (2 large windows – 1 opening) and one bathroom (1 large window – 1 opening)

I am aiming to get handles changed on all windows to add extra security and repair the broken one.
Fan from bathroom as it get freezing cold in winter.
Window sills, cills, as per regular maintenance – none done since I am in that flat.
I had quote in the past for new windows, and standard PVC are pretty reasonable, however, I believe that standard window will not bring any aesthetic value, except only a maintenance free product for the year to come, clear glass as some as misted, as well as better insulation( yes much better insulation according to windows sales man!!)
Should the advice be to go for new windows? Or can my aluminium windows still have life in their existence?
Lounge is located south so a bit of sun, and it get warm very quickly.
Bedroom is north and cooler but fine as it is better for night time.
Ultimately, if I was able to afford it, slide windows would be idea so to keep with the building existing features – but these are nearly as double prices.

PS – will new windows turn the flat into a gigantic sauna in the summer on a hot day?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Those are quite old Ali windows.
Not very secure.
Poor thermal ratings.

Its upto you really but I would get some quotes for new PVC windows, Possibly vertical sliders.
Try some local company's, I fit PVC vertical sliders for around £550 each but it depends on the company and who they buy them in from.

The glass units and hinges are probably close to their life expectancy too so by the time you do those plus the handles new windows would probably work out at a similar price.

Many thanks Gazman for your reply.

When you mentioned Poor thermal ratings - these are still double glazed. and on hot day, the flat which is exposed South do get very hot.
my concern with new double glazed window, is what would be the end result... would it get even hotter?

I had investigated new windows last year and after having made the error to get commercial brand in... wont give name, decided to get individual window people.
Regular window people have advertise normal PVC which I believe wont be the prettiest.... because of the wide PVC border (from the current think aluminium side)
I agree, vertical slider would be Ideal but slightly more pricey and would have to save money for a while before I can afford these - so saving now for these!! It might take me couple of years!!

I went to the homeshow in London and got lot of contact so will need to get these in for quotation. Some of them had amazing slider / color slider!!!!
Andersen / mill work co
quickslide.co.uk

550 for Vertical Slider? I have been quotes a lot more.
550 was for normal windows.

I would love to share previous quote with you if you are happy with that.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Prices do depend on your area and the company that makes the windows. Also things like access and number of windows etc.

Ive recently had several glass units mist up in a job I did about 2 years ago so I'm thinking of changing to another supplier, Quickslide is one of those, Trade cost price is about £25 more from them per window.
Others I'm considering although price and quality increase for these is:
http://www.bisonframes.co.uk/windows/genesis
http://roseview.co.uk/

These are trade suppliers/factorys but you could probably email them to see if they supply to anyone locally.
New windows are not going to make things hotter, Possibly a tiny bit cooler. The thing with aluminum is it is an extremely good conductor of heat and cold this is why you tend to get alot of condensation on Ali windows. PVC with its multiple chambers is a good insulator on the other hand.

P.s I am pretty much a one man band working out of my garage so although I am VAT registered I don't have the overheads of offices, showrooms, staff etc. This is why I'm probably a bit too cheap really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back