New wiring regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've always done my own house electrics but now the new regulations have come in I'm not a hundred percent sure what i can and can't do. I want to add to a existing ring main extending it around a conservatory is this allowed?
I believe i can add to existing circuits but not make new is this correct
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Had been reading that as far as i can tell i can but wanted to make sure. I want to add 4 double sockets in to the ring :)

I ran the same situation past west berks & hants building controls just to make sure as I wire a couple of conservatories a month for my old man & was told it isn't notifiable work & a conservatory isn't classed as a special location but the work must comply with BS7671 & of course tested / certificated, done on minor works cert.
Dont forget rcd protection for circuit if not already done.

Sponsored Links
krugger said:
Had been reading that as far as i can tell i can but wanted to make sure. I want to add 4 double sockets in to the ring :)

providing its not in a 'special location' then you can.

Kruger, in general you can extend an existing circuit as long, as Andy highlighted, it is not in a "Special Location", such as a kitchen, Bathroom or external to the building.

Now the grey area here could be the legal status of your conservatory. I know that some are classed as part of the structure, as such they required planning permission, and some are not, thus not requiring planning permission..the difference is how they are tied to the existing structure.

As I understand things, so please don't take this as difinitive, if the structure required planning permission, it is part of the structure, just like an extension, and thus extending the circuit is not an issue. BUT, if the structure is NOT part of the structure and did not require planning permission, it may be classed as a seperate structure outside the equipotential zone and thus a "special location"

Perhaps a phone call to your local building control can clarify this point for you.

The way i read the regulation a long time ago was that as the house owner i can do this my self but i can not do it for anyone else.

Thanks for the reply big_spark it was one ting i was thinking of the conservatory did not need planing permision so i was wondering if i could extend the ring or not as it would then be part of the house. I learnt that i could not extended the central heating into the conservatory as it would then be a permant attachment, to get arround this though i can have stop taps on the return and supply pipes in side the house.
Hope this isn't the same for the electrics i will have to give them a ring.
Simple circuit a radial but will be new so won't be able to do it myself :mad:
Cheers

krugger said:
Cheers

when will you learn. government only see money. just DIY!*

*but be aware you could be breaking the law if you do. and im not responsible if you get caught (unlikely)

Kruger, there is a way of achieving what you want, and still complying with the Regulations.

If you install an unswitched fused spur into the ring adjacent to your conservatory then you can run a small radial circuit from this which will give you power in your conservatory..BUT it is disconnectable without impacting on the circuits in the main building...so technically not permanent..but effectivly permanent..much like the central heating pipes.....

There is always a way around problems :LOL:

Unswitched fused spur is..HERE

Could do that only 13 A though wanted option of electric heater if rad not up to it. (proberbly only 2.5kw but it doesn't leave much for my xbox360 etc :) )

What about return (common) would i need to fit fuse for that as well just so that it can be easily disconnected could see some safety conserns for that though.

Regulations are strange!
The conservatory is bolted to the house (or will be when it is eventually finished :cry: ) one side is brick so must be tied to the house wall. To me this is part of the house and is difficult to seperate. Electrics and heating although hard fixed can be very easiy disconnected.

one other thing just thought of whats the difference between extending the ring or adding a new radial seems the same to me both hard wired to the house both need wiring disconnceting if conservatory removed. :p

Kruger, I would not advocate you run a ring into the conservatory with each leg fed via a spur..this is extremely dangerous..potentially.

What I would suggest is that perhaps you perform the task I said in my earlier post TWICE..one socket, perhaps a single one can be installed via an unswitched spur for the heater, and then perhaps a double via another unswitched spur which would be used for your Xbox etc...

Think my reply was confusing proberbly, what i ment was not running a ring from spuring off two sockets but as you said run a fused spur from one socket, removal of this fuse allows the disconnection of the live from the house (and allows multiple sockets to be connected to a spur as 13 A will not be exceded) but leaves the neutral still connected. As the neutral is still connected would this be classed as not permant?

Kruger, the spur will connect LIVE, NEUTRAL and CPC (EARTH) and the whilst the removal of the fuse will only cause a break in the Phase (LIVE), the spurred circuit would be easily disconnected by removing the spurred connection..if you see my point.

andy said:
krugger said:
Cheers

when will you learn. government only see money. just DIY!*

*but be aware you could be breaking the law if you do. and I'm not responsible if you get caught (unlikely)
Sorry andy missed your response.

I have a question proberly shouldn't ask it.

What if i added a new radial using new colour cable haven't got enough old, letters from council saying i don't need planing are dated late this year any way so installation is dated.

Sparkys self certificate do they have to file documents with the council?
if not could i do it my self and say i accidently lost it oops?

Big_Spark said:
Kruger, the spur will connect LIVE, NEUTRAL and CPC (EARTH) and the whilst the removal of the fuse will only cause a break in the Phase (LIVE), the spurred circuit would be easily disconnected by removing the spurred connection..if you see my point.

Got ya three screws bobs your uncle no longer connected

Strange regulations though would proberbly take less than an hour to disconnect from a ring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back