New World CH502

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these boilers which has been very reliable over the many years it has been in use. About 4 years ago the main valve developed a leak. Fortunately I was able to locate a new one and had a qualified gas engineer fit it for me. The boiler has now failed to fire up. The pilot light is on, there is a 240v supply to the boiler, there is a transformer with +28v ac on the secondary. There is a fuse in series with the secondary which then feeds a coil on the main valve. Unfortunately this coil has gone open circuit. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of repairing these coils as it is unlikely that I will find a spare. It is feasible? If so I will get someone in to remove the coil for me. Thanks in advance.
Rich

Sponsored Links
if you post a photo of the valve it would help this is a very old boiler but someone should be able to help you out

Those boilers used Maclaren valves. Only place is that well known auction site. They are obsolete and no repairs can be done to just the coil alone.
The valve is similar to this one
View media item 67942

Those are very good boilers!

Based on an instant water heater!

When first installed the modulating units failed and needed to be replaced under the warranty.

If you get REALLY stuck then as a last resort contact me via my profile!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for taking the time to answer. The photo is exactly the one I have fitted. I was looking at the area where the coil contacts are. It looks as if the front section is held on by four screws. I would like to know if by undoing those it would reveal the coil. I have quite a lot of electrical / electronics repair experience (ex tv engineer in the 70's to currently being an electrical design engineer) and quite often the cause of a relay going open is corroding on the terminals where they are soldered. If I could get into the coil there is at least a chance I could fix the problem.

I have tried contacting the engineer who fitted the valve this morning, but only an answering machine so far.

Thank you for your kind offer Tony, I may well take you up on it.

Thanks again to you all.

Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back