New World CH502 boiler pilot light problem

Hello Tony Agile.

Only 10% of gas engineers are capable enough to diagnose faults ?

You may be right, but don't tell the other 90%. Here, in Hove, as elsewhere, there are plenty of people advertising their sevices as Gas Safe registered engineers but how do you know which one to pick ?

Are you making an offer ?

Thank you very much for taking the time to give this your attention.

And thank you everyone else too.

Sponsored Links
Hello Ianmcd,

Mine does not have a blue knob. But mine is operated from outside the casing by means of an extension. So I think the valve is the same, it is just the external control that is different. I wouldn't mind operating the on/off switch from inside the control box (It is separate from the combustion chamber) if only it will work again.

Thank you for your help.

If you wanted me to consider coming then you need to email me with the address using the details from my profile. ( Click on "Agile" )

But it would be better to get a local RGI if you could only find one but be aware that 99% will just want to replace the boiler! But he might struggle with finding parts whereas I have them all in stock to bring with me!

To make it worse perhaps only 4% will be very competent at identifying the problem.

I will try to have a look at my now spare boiler in the loft and see how the control shaft connects on to the gas valve. But without seeing a blue knob type and taking the knob off that might be inconclusive!

Tony all the blue knob valves are the same the Brown knob ones can be 1/2 " or 3/4" so if yours has a blue knob it will fit

Sponsored Links
That's not the point Ian, the CH502 uses a spindle extension and not the blue knob.

Although its not likely to be different, we don't know for sure if the extension would fit the valve spindle after taking the blue knob off. It could always be a different spindle than the blue knob one.

Tony

Hello Ianmcd,

Mine does not have a blue knob. But mine is operated from outside the casing by means of an extension. So I think the valve is the same, it is just the external control that is different. I wouldn't mind operating the on/off switch from inside the control box (It is separate from the combustion chamber) if only it will work again.

Thank you for your help.

Hello Ianmcd,

Thanks for the words about the gas supply pipe. Funny isn't it, that these modern, super efficient, save you loads of money boilers require a larger gas supply than the old ones, or perhaps I'm wrong ? (I usually am).

Anyhow, I just require a water heater, so perhaps the old 15mm supply will be ok.

Thank you.

the reason that a combi requires a larger gas supply is that it heats the incoming cold water instantly as it passes through the boiler, with a stored system you dont need such a large amount of energy as you heat up a stored cylinder indirectly, the gas valve I sent you the link for will sort your boiler out if you can get someone to install it.

Over 90% of the boilers that I visit with that fault are not caused by a failed gas valve.

But its total luck in respect of any individual gas valve.

Tony

Agile you head is so far up your own arris its a wonder you can still blow your own trumpet.
On here claiming to be a top engineer and slagging off 90% of the other guys out there dont forget we see the basic question you ask such as how do you fit a sink .

Back to topic.
Poster it can only be 3 things , t/couple (changed so eliminated) gas valve obsolete and only available secondhand for around the last 20 years or the overheat stat also been obsolete for the last 20 years and not avail.

In the centre of the overheat stat on these there is a little hole or even a little rod there was two types on these either push the rod back in to see if it will reset or use the nib of a pan if its got a hole it may just have overheated.

Oh before the gas police jump in this is all in the user part of the boiler and doesnt affect the combustion seals.

And agile the reason you havent worked on one of these for ten years isnt because of there reliabile its because very few were ever fitted and the vast majority of them have been ripped out 20 plus years ago due to unavailability of parts when they broke down also the heat exchangers on these are like a multipoint and the skirts on them craCk and split leaving them AR

Thank you, gas112.

All this info. is most useful. It is good to find a lot of people, who are kind enough to take an interest in my problem, and the advice has been first class.

I also must say I have enjoyed the cut & thrust of the debate, especially in these deadful days, where any comment you utter can bring the thought police knocking on your door.

There is nothing more cheering than a bold opinion forthrightly expressed !

Thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back