newbie needs help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Newbie on here, and need help on some wiring. Ive read a few things on here about spurs, n seen it can get a little heated lol. so dont bite my head off. So many electricians have different views on spurs n how many sockets you can have, all i want to know is if the following is safe. and if not, how can i make it safe.

in the kitchen, a fridge will be plugged into socket 3. On the consumer unit, if i remember rightly, this ring main has a 32amp RCD. Im at work right now, so dont ask me to go n check, coz u'll av to wait till morning lol.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is rough running a load of sockets off a fcu, especially in a kitchen. Would all be better on the ring, if you live in england / wales this work is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs hence would be better getting an electrician who is a member of a competent person scheme to do the work.

They all are supplied by the fused spur, so in total they can't draw more than 13A and overload the spur cable, so it is safe.

But...

1) It's a dreadful design to have that many sockets on a 13A spur.

2) Will 13A be enough?

3) Is the circuit on an RCD?

4) Are you aware that if you're in England or Wales this work is notifiable?

5) What do you plan to do about testing?

6) How accurate is that drawing? Do you know the rules for concealed cables?

If i removed socket 4, would it be any safer. Also the correct cable is being used, and is also running off the rcd.

*edit* what about making socket 2 a single?

How many sockets can you actually have off a spur?

Sponsored Links
Ban, can you link me to the rules for concealed cables please :)

also just read the following...

At the time of writing (January 2011), the following work was classed as not needing notification to LABC:

2. Work which -

(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location;

(b) does not involve work on a special installation; and

(c) consists of -
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit, or
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit.

i didnt know this, so any electrical work in the kitchen must be notified to LABC?

Would this circuit be o.k....

1 = plinth lights 'led' (floor level)
2 = kettle or toaster [4a -5a i think]
3 = fridge (hidden socket) [4a - 6a i think]

what if i made 1 and 2 fused sockets also? I dont think these appliances will pull more than 13amps, or am i wrong?

any help appreiated :)

i didnt know this, so any electrical work in the kitchen must be notified to LABC?

any help appreiated :)

Yes. All electrical work in a kitchen must be notified. All electrical work must be safe and conform to BS7671.

A kettle will pull between 10 and 13amps.

Sorry, you need a registered electrician to do this work. You don't have the first idea and it would be irresponsible of us to try and talk you through how to do it.

The very least you should do is plug your kettle in somewhere else! :!: :!: :!: Restrict the use of those sockets to low-powered stuff. (Your fridge will be OK.)

Edit:

seeb said:
If i removed socket 4, would it be any safer.

It's safe now. It just isn't very useful. :( :( :( Removing sockets will reduce the chances of somebody blowing the FCU fuse but that's all. Either get the job done properly or, if you're going to do anything, get some of those blank plastic plugs that (supposedly) stop children from poking their fingers into sockets. :) :) :)

and also said:
what about making socket 2 a single?

Same as above. Much easier to blank one off.

You can have as many sockets on a 13A fused spurs as you like.
But you must consider what those sockets are supplying.
A kitchen is a busy spot when in full flow and having a string of sockets that only allow a maximum of 13A, is not really practical.
The circuit is safe, because when there is an overload the 13A in the FCU should blow.
But this wont help get the clothes cleaned, the toast brown or the tea brewed.
I would go back to basics and at the point where the FCU is now, I would extend the RFC (ring final circuit).
As mentioned in previous post, notifiable work for kitchens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back