United Kingdom
We had some work done
The builder needed to get to the floorboard and remove carpet temporarily
He put back, every looked OK

But in 2 places there's a big lump under the carpet
Not sure how to get rid of
He didn't have any special carpet tools
But I didn't see how he took off in the first instance

I was hoping someone can give me a pointer where to start lifting and how to put carpet back
I thought it would be wise to ask for guidance before I took a long screwdriver and tried to pry open one side

Sponsored Links
Have you lost a couple of hamsters?

It will be on gripper strip most likely, use a thin screwdriver or bradawl push it through the carpet about 1 inch from the edge, starting at a corner makes it easier. using the tool pull up the carpet pushing a bit towards the wall as you lift to help unhook it from the nails on the gripper strip. Once started it is easy to pull up as much as you need. Remove the hamster or whatever and stretch the carpet back to the wall (a proper carpet stretcher is the correct tool ) but you may be able to push or "jump" it tighter by using your trainers. once in position use a bolster chisel to wedge it down in the gap between the gripper and the wall.
All you need then is to put plasters on all the stabs you got from the points of the gripper rod! ;)

Go on yell.com and find a local carpet fitter to help. Won’t cost that much. That way he can use his knee kicker to re stretch the carpet back onto the grippers.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back