Newel cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i'm trying to renovate my stairs and i've stripped back the paint prior to staining etc and i've discovered the handrail is some sort of hardwood as is the newel cap but the newel is pine.

Any ideas what type of wood the handrail is and what sort of newel cap I should get to replace the existing one as its a bit damaged underneath?
20130731_224035_zps51f1a7f3.jpg

Sponsored Links
TBH, and I know you aren't going to like me for saying this, but the chances of you staining the wood so it all matches are slim. Its likely therefore to end up with rail, newel and cap all slightly different shades. I would be tempted to repaint.

By the way, the rail lookes like mahogony, so you may want to look at that for a cap if you are going to carry on and have stained wood. Not sure of what design though, you'll have to just look through a catalogue to find one that matches, I'm sure you can find a supplier online.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back