Newly plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could anyone please explain why paint seems to be shading/not sticking to newly plastered walls which were plastered two months ago?

Sponsored Links
you need to thin down the first coat of paint I think its 20 parts water two one of paint apply this and then paint as normal I used travis perkins contract matt as a base coat then a couple of top coats of good quality paint
dulux colour guard is pretty good its a washable matt

I think its 20 parts water two one of paint
more likely 10% to 20%. Advice will usually be on the tin.

Matt is best for new plaster. Dulux Trade Supermatt is good. If your existing paint is not adhering you will have to scrape off all the stuff that is not firm :(

I hope you did not put any kind of glue on the wall before painting

Thanks for that..........I have done this but still experiencing shading etc.
It almost appears to be too much oil? in the plastering......is this possible?

Sponsored Links
There definitely shouldn't be any oil in the plaster :eek:, but maybe the surface has been too highly polished by the plasterer (excessive troweling), making it more difficult for the paint to adhere.

Roughcaster.

:eek:, but maybe the surface has been too highly polished by the plasterer (excessive troweling), making it more difficult for the paint to adhere.

Roughcaster.

only ever done this once, about a 2 foot square in the middle of the lounge wall, :evil:
painters should never niggle a plasterer. :)

Saves you buying a mirror though, just polish up the wall with the trowel and a squirt of "Pledge" . :LOL: Yes, I think we're all guilty of overdoing it at one time or another Marshy. :LOL: It's easy to get carried away.

Roughcaster.

The other problem can be if they sanded the plaster to get it flat afterwards. Too much sanding destroys the finish grain & the paint can look a bit like a brushed suede effect; if should eventually cover but may need many coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back