Next doors massive Tree blocking light

Sponsored Links
Do NOT contact the council asking if there is a TPO on that particular tree.

maybe ask about what trees have a TPO in that area but not that particular tree.

Or they may just put one on.

As for pruning, providing there is no TPO then you can prune what's over your side of the boundary.
Not sure what's what if your in a conservation area?

Sponsored Links
You have a right to daylight by law and trees a certain distance from your home are not exempt and you should contact your local council to enquire what the laws are where you live. You can in Wales prune a tree that over hangs your property but you must return the wood to them crazy but true.
Check out the lasw with your council and ask for the booklet explaining the right to light etc.:cool:

Sorry friend it is true as living in South Wales and having twenty trees in my garden I know it only to well. If some one complains about my trees as they have they must first pay a few hundred pounds to have the council inspect them if they are blocking out light distance from window to tree and height equation enters into the response. But if the neighbor wishes to prune the tree hanging over their property they can. But they have a liability to return what they pruned to me. When my neighbors did complain I went round and discussed the issue and pruned them myself except one guy but then you will always have one grumpy arse. Every year I keep them in check and all but the one guy are happy. Check out your local council laws or see a Lawyer at a free consultation.:cool:

Nope. Not true. It's not a building and it was there long before the OP arrived.

Seems like we have a few grumpy arses on here. Just ignore and contact your local council they will inform you of the laws relating to trees and if you have the similiar ones as we do here in Cardiff. Try the easy root first and approach your neighbor see what they have to say.:cool:

No matey boy, you are wrong. Simple as that. :mrgreen:

I echo what Joe is saying.

You do NOT have a right to light by law, there is no such thing.

If you have a living room window and someone builds something that blocks it out then you might have a leg to stand on, but not with a tree in the garden.

Also your neighbours do not have to return the cuttings when they prune what's over their side, they only have to "offer" you the arisings.
(This has been debated on the net many, many times).
If they return them without asking then they could be guilty of fly tipping.

If your local council are telling you that someone has rights then you should really expect them to prove it.

As for paying the council, are you sure your not on about the high hedge law?

Sponsored Links
Back