nicotene problem on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has bought her first house and has been busy decorating it, unfortunately she has a problem with a couple of ceilings, she tells me she has given them two coats of Dulux Vinyl Matt and a yellow tinge keeps showing through, i have a feeling the people who she bought the house of were heavy smokers, and its the nicotene showing through, unfortunately she lives a couple of hundred miles from me and i cannot get there to help at present. If she were to repaint the ceiling with an oil based undercoat,to stop the stains showing through , could she then repaint it with the Dulux. If i had seen it before we could have washed it all with a bleach solution, but its to late for that now. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Use a proper stain block Zinsser BIN is a good one two coats and paint with normal emulsion the stain may show through the first coat but will then be locked in. BIN can be hard to work with in large areas as it dries in 15 min so for a ceiling Zinsser Cover stain would be better.

Most trade outlets sell it.

If there are more ceilings to treat look at Classidur

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/c/CLASSIDUR_SUPERCLASSIC/

Eye wateringly expensive but no need to wash down, just paint 2 coats on within the time frame they specify and sit down and admire!!

EDIT Classidur can not be used over recently painted ceilings only old dirty ones, ideal stuff if you want to paint an old pub ceiling with a quick turn round ;)

Hmm, a good wash down with sugar soap prior to painting could well have done the trick.

Depends on how bad it is and if it is the dreaded textured finish ;) ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back