Night school it is then........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Them old bones won't cope with wall busting for too much longer.

2391 beckons via the local college night school route. Have any of you done the course this way?

And if so please tell me what I'm letting myself in for. GN3 and the 2391 exam practice books are on there way.
What else can I do to make sure I get top value from my £425 investment in the course.

I was going to do 2330 2/3 but the course tutor told me not to bother and felt 2391 was a better thing to have for a bloke who was 50 last birthday :cry:

If any of you have good links to dummy exams, resources etc for some extra study. I'd really appreciate a post back.

Sponsored Links
Chri5, I have some around here somewhere.

Send me a PM with your mail address and I'll dig them up from the archive.
Think you have to ask to be a 'friend' first. I've added you as a friend - you'll need to confirm.

It'll be a week as I'm off posh camping in the English weather tomorrow :cry:

Sponsored Links
Did my 2391 on a four day course for almost £600. Big rip-off as three days spent going through past papers. One day on more general stuff but no teaching or even revision of testing and no practical work at all. We were told if you wanted that you should have done the 2392 - the easier exam.

If you can test OK according to GN3 and have an average knowledge of BS7671 and look at the past papers you'll be fine. Most of the reason for the low pass rates are that many people are put through it by companies when they havent any idea of testing at all.

Look at City & Guilds website for the Examiners Reports on the exams to see just what they want. Terminology is key - say a Minor Works Certificate or Loop Tester and you'll get marked down.

The practical is a standard board PM me for details if you wish

I did 2391 thru local college in 2007 for around £350 (if I recall correctly!)..

If you have been at it for yrs (you sound like you have!) then don't bother with 2392; waste of time and money. EDIT: 2392 generally seems completely pointless!

2391 will brush up your I&T skills, but if not confident with testing then get your meter out and test everything you can prior to course. Also, I would have preferred an older and likely more knowledgeable sort to teach this course if I did it again.

I spent £30 on the course (12 weeks, one night a week, 3 hours a night) plus just under £30 for each of the two (one theory and one practical) assessments.

Go for it.

Just out of interest why are you doing the course, is it just to get the qualification or to learn? :)

Get your customers to do it.

Apparently it's all the rage - they do the chasing, box sinking, first fix, and you come along to do 2nd fix, test, and give them a certificate.

You don't even have to be available for them to ask you questions like "what size cable should I use?".

Apparently it's all the rage - they do the chasing, box sinking, first fix, and you come along to do 2nd fix, test, and give them a certificate.

You don't even have to be available for them to ask you questions like "what size cable should I use?".

I cant do any work dealing with phone calls of this nature! seriously, i have never had one enquiry for this, tell me someone on here has.

Haha! Very fuuny!

I think that the majority of these 'I'm doing the 1st fix and sparx doing 2nd fix' posts are people who are actually planning to do all the work themselves...hence the questions...otherwise they would ring their spark to get answers to these...they always use the old excuse that the spark is on holiday and I need to put cables in etc!

OH, and they are always, but always, going through LABC...yeah right!

Oh, and agree with 1john, never personally had an enquiry asking if I can do connections/testing only.

Soooo, it must be true that these (im)posters are all, with no exception, LIARS!!

On a more benevolent note at least some of them concern themselves greatly with technicalities and minutae.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back