NIP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks ago, we went to the coast, on the way back, we got stuck behind a row of cars doing 30 to 40 on a 60 limit winding single carriageway, with everyone constantly having to brake. The reason for the issue as I soon found out, was what appeared to be a very nervous driver at the front, braking hard for even the slightest reason. Difficult to get past, and many of those following the driver were frustrated, though we did all eventually get past safely.

Further on, on a wide open 70 dual carriageway, with almost zero traffic, zero hazards and visibility for several miles on a long downhill, I came up behind a van doing 65, which suddenly braked. I had in mind the above-mentioned driver, braking for absolutely no reason, and booted the throttle to get past - ending up doing around 82. Then in the far distance I spotted the reason for the braking, a camera van, which I suspect might have caught me, unless the operator was asleep.

As said two weeks ago, but nothing in the post yet. How quick do they send them out? Concern is, that one item of mail (postal vote) failed to be delivered, so a NIP might not have been delivered. Is there any way to check if a NIP might have been sent, and not delivered?

My last and only NIP was 25 years ago, where they had changed a 50 limit to a 30, unnoticed by me.

Sponsored Links
Has to arrive within 14 days otherwise it's not enforceable. I think it works the same for red light cameras, too.

I've never been caught by either, but have definitely gone through red on a light with a camera! Was far safer to go through than stop due to conditions at the time.

If your speedometer was indicating 82 you may only have been doing 75, speedometers are allowed to over-read by up to 10%.
Guidelines suggest that the Police don't prosecute until the actual speed is more than 10% + 2mph over the posted speed limit, so on a dual carriageway 70 + 10% = 77 +2 = 79mph.
You might have got lucky.

Sponsored Links
You can check the accuracy of your car speedometer by using the the speedometer on google maps.

I have three in the car - electronic needle speedo, which does over read, dash digital - which is spot on, and sat nav. She was watching the sat nav, which she claimed read 82 :(

There is a good road traffic law website (Patterson solicitors) which might be worth reading H.

Good luck, maybe the operator was having a cuppa ;)

Has to arrive within 14 days otherwise it's not enforceable. I think it works the same for red light cameras, too.

I've never been caught by either, but have definitely gone through red on a light with a camera! Was far safer to go through than stop due to conditions at the time.
The legal argument is that the amber light (prior to the red) means 'stop at the stop line' hence prior warning of the red.
We've all been there though, part of the consequence of driving :rolleyes:

The legal argument is that the amber light (prior to the red) means 'stop at the stop line' hence prior warning of the red.

When driving up to lights, I imagine a line on the road before the stop line - dependent on my speed. If I cross that line before the amber, I continue, if it will be after - after I stop. Ignoring the amber and in many cases the red too, is rife these days, which has happened since the added time between one road going to red, a time gap, then the opposing road lights beginning the cycle.

Yes that's how I've always understood it. Trouble is, I was doing close to the legal limit for the road as it was light traffic, and of course the lights changed at probably the worst timing they could have. I had a HGV behind me and didn't fancy comparing the stopping power between the two of us! It was just safer to go through just as they changed to red.

Yes that's how I've always understood it. Trouble is, I was doing close to the legal limit for the road as it was light traffic, and of course the lights changed at probably the worst timing they could have. I had a HGV behind me and didn't fancy comparing the stopping power between the two of us! It was just safer to go through just as they changed to red.
When I took (& passed) my HGV 1 test back in the 'eighties running a red, for any reason whatsoever including 'I was right at the line' was an immediate failure. Official doctrine was 'you should approach the lights at a speed that enables you to stop should they turn red'

You can't win at this game :rolleyes:

When I took (& passed) my HGV 1 test back in the 'eighties running a red, for any reason whatsoever including 'I was right at the line' was an immediate failure. Official doctrine was 'you should approach the lights at a speed that enables you to stop should they turn red'

You can't win at this game :rolleyes:

Yep, sometimes the amber period, is just not a long enough warning to be able to safely stop. All you can do, is drive as if you will need to stop.

Sponsored Links
Back