NIP

When I took (& passed) my HGV 1 test back in the 'eighties running a red, for any reason whatsoever including 'I was right at the line' was an immediate failure. Official doctrine was 'you should approach the lights at a speed that enables you to stop should they turn red'

You can't win at this game :rolleyes:

Agree.. It's a difficult one. I drive with much anticipation of what could happen and what another driver might do or not be able to do -- took a long time to learn to drive like that, but it's routine now. However, sometimes being the lead car means you have to consider what you do beyond following the textbook rules.

Sponsored Links
Agree.. It's a difficult one. I drive with much anticipation of what could happen and what another driver might do or not be able to do -- took a long time to learn to drive like that, but it's routine now. However, sometimes being the lead car means you have to consider what you do beyond following the textbook rules.

The main thing, is to drive for yourself - and drive for everyone else on the road. If they crowd you from behind, slow down enough, to take account of their following distance.

The main thing, is to drive for yourself - and drive for everyone else on the road. If they crowd you from behind, slow down enough, to take account of their following distance.

With the lights, and at at the speed I was doing, it would have taken some fairly sharp braking. The risk presented from the HGV behind was greater than the single car waiting some distance away at the opposing lights to my left.

Only last night I had a car up my **** after we'd entered a 40 zone. I'd increased up to 40mph within 5 seconds of entering the zone, but it obviously wasn't good enough so they sat feet from my rear. I just slowed down, pulled to the left and waved them on -- no problems after that. Doesn't faze me anymore.

Highway guide(ance) is to pull over and let them past is it not? Are you saying if you have an idiot up your backside you slow down enough that they back off? On the assumption you don't make an idiot driver into an angry idiot driver?

Sponsored Links
Highway guide(ance) is to pull over and let them past is it not? Are you saying if you have an idiot up your backside you slow down enough that they back off? On the assumption you don't make an idiot driver into an angry idiot driver?

Yes, of course!

Much better to have the idiot ahead of you, than behind, of course - but many tailgators, just like to follow someone, they have zero intention or desire to go any faster, or get past you. The only way is to reduce your own speed, so the gap they are leaving is a safe one.

Back