No 15mm pipes in bathroom ?!! how to install bath ? HELP !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

just ripped out my shower and shower floor ( major hassle, had to hammer it apart ! )

NOW, i can only see 15mm copper pipes under floor, there is no way to lift the floorboard, without ripping off tiles, plaster etc, as they go right into wall.

basically i need to make a new connection to the 22mm pipe , BUT is there a 22mm pipe ? is it possible that there is only 15mm under floor, which has been Tee'd off somewhere else ( next room ? )

also, is it safe to cut the floorboards in half, at the joist section ? i will need to screw them back in, but weight of bath etc, is this safe ?

any other ways ?!!!

this is driving me crazy, no shower, cant wash, aaaaahhhhhhh !!!!!!!!

thanks - please help !!!

Ted :eek:

Sponsored Links
BAHCO said:

INDEED !!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmm is the stage im up right now........

i think washing is over rated anyway !!! let nature take its course...

sniff sniff

ANY HELP ANYONE ? :idea:

its possible you only have 15 mm pipes.
U'll have to lift the floor boards if u want to do the work,,that cannot be avoided. (unless its leff work to break thru the ceiling(if bathroom is tiled normally)
cutting the floorboards at the joists is ok. check u wont be cutting thru water of electric. (refix with screws for easy access next time)
Dont worry about the bath. sit it on some planks to help distribute the weight and to shorten the legs (adjustable screw threaded) bath nneds to go at panel height (if ur fitting one)

btw...where are the olp pipes that fed the old shower...cant u use them ?

Sponsored Links
thanks JPC,

well the old pipes are all 15mm in size.................i can access them, but it would mean only 15mm supply to bath taps, Ive heard it would take AGES TO FILL the bath ?

is this true ? I wouldnt mind waiting say, 10 mins to fill the bath, with 15mm pipes ?

the bathroom was completely build only last year ( b4 i moved in !!! ) I didnt expect no 22mm pipes !!!!!

why is it, u can only find out once its too late !!!!!!! thanks, please help !!!! :oops:

the OLD pipes are 15mm !!!!!!!!!!!

repeat : 15mm !!!!

bath pipes need to be 22mm - thus my original post !!!!

or, are u saying 15mm is ok ? for bath water supply ?

ahem. :eek:

Have you got a gravity fed system or are you on a combi?
Should fill OK with a combi use 15mmx3/4 tap connectors.

Jason

hi

its a new combi system.

well that sounds like good news then, i use a 3/4 tap, with a reducer to make a 1/2 connection ?

feeling better about it already !

No 1/2" You can get a tap connector that has a 3/4" BSP nut one end to fit your bath tap and a 15mm socket on the other to take the 15mm pipe. You can get these in end feed or push-fit if you prefer.

Don't use isolating valves or flexi couplings on the bath as these can reduce the bore down to 6mm, use 15mm full bore ball valves to isolate the bath supplies.

Jason

cheers Jason, ( + everyone ! )

can i ask - is there any need to fit an ISOLATION VALVE ?

I mean, its quicker to turn off the water supply mains, is there any 'technical' reason for fitting them ? maybe lack of mains tap / easy access ? etc ?

ALSO, you say NOT to fit 'flexi-coupling' pipes, SO i connect up the 15mm tubing direct to TAPS connector ?

ALSO ( again !! sorry !!! ) IS IT SAFE TO USE 15mm PLASTIC TUBING all round ?

Im thinking as Im gonna use plastic PUSH FIT connectors, that I may as well use the PLASTIC TUBING ?

any negative aspects - long term etc ?

( I love plastic me !!!! ) ;)

thanks !!!

There's reduced benefit putting iso valves under a bath - usually a pain to get the panel off anyway. Good quality flexies have 10mm bore which won't give you a problem even if you use the 6 foot ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back