no bleeder on radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I am a first time home owner so I don't know too much yet about home improvement. My problem is that I have a large hot water radiator in my living room with about 25 rungs. However, only the first 9 rungs heat up. So I figured maybe I have a ton of air. So as I looked for the bleeder, there was not one. This is also the same case on the other 2 radiators on the 1st floor. But, the radiators on the 2nd floor have bleeders. What next.....

Sponsored Links
What do the rads look like?

It could be the bleed valve is on the back of the rad, hidden under a very inconspicuous plastic cap.

the rads are just below waist in height with only a lever to turn on or off on the radiator. I didnt notice any cap. The house was built in 1935 so I assume thats when the rads were put there as well....

OK so they're just below waist height, but what do they look like? Are they steel panels? Are they cast iron? Are they thin? Are they thick?

Sponsored Links
cast iron, thick. On the side there is a big nut that could be unscrewed but it would be an awefully big hole for just air to come out. It is definitely not a valve though.

does it look like
images

but only one radiator not two

yep, looks like it from the side, but i by the looks of it, the rungs (from a front view) may be a little thicker.

Oh that's ok. You just crack the nut, bolt, screw, whatever and the air will leak out. You dont have to take the whole thing out.

Breezer, I cant read your signature now you've made it all fancy. One line flashes right on top of the other one :confused:

so what happens next, if it still doesn't heat the last 15 or so rungs when I do this? Do you think it could be clogged with sludge?

Yes!!!

You could try draining the whole system and then disconnecting the radiators and making some adaptors to connect 3/4 inch hoses to each end and flush them through.

If you call a professional in to power flush the system (a better option IMHO) DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO REMOVE AND REPLACE YOUR RADIATORS WITH NEW ONES!!!!!!!! Cast iron is thicker than steel panel rads, and cast iron corrodes MUCH, MUCH less than steel. They could easily last another 50 years and even then, sections can be replaced or repaired. They are also valuable, and have a very long life.

Once you've cleaned the system, add corrosion inhibitor, and add more every three years.

Hey guys thanks for the help. I guess I have a little project for this evening. Thanks and take care!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back