No central heating after switching on for first time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yet again we turned our central heating (Potterton Flamingo 50 boiler) on for the first time last night and it's not working. This has happened for the last 3 years and it's been a stuck pump. We checked the pump this morning and freed up the shaft which is now rotating and seems to be working OK- Vibrating and very hot. The pipe feeding the pump from the boiler is a lot warmer than the pipe coming out of the pump - Don't know if that is relevant. Hubby and I been trying to get central heating to work this morning but have been doing so after the hot water only had been on for 3 hours or so, so fully heated and tank full. Think we may now have too much hot water circulating that it's causing noisy pipes into the overflow tank in the loft, but would this prevent water circulating to the radiators? Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick response. The pump is already turned up to 3! I will adjust it and move it back to make sure it isn't stuck.

I've given up telling posters to run the heating pump once a month through the summer to free it all up.

All the sludge etc has probably set rock hard in the pipes and radiators, and now you have the problem of flushing it out.

You need to check whats going on in the loft sooner than later.

Sponsored Links
That's a very good point about running the pump occasionally during the summer, which we've never thought of doing in the past, but will certainly do so from now on.

From what you suggest about investigating what's going on in the loft I guess it's not advisable to keep attempting to get the heating to work until we have done so?

If it's over flowing into the header tank it needs to be sorted, as it could be a blocked cold feed, so yes you need to check whats happening quickly, then we can advise further.

We have spent almost all day draining, bleeding and refilling the system but still no joy. We initially drained the system from a low level radiator with the central heating/hot water switched on and immediately the radiators started to heat up apart from 4 - being the ones furthest away. We then drained from one of these rads thinking it would help, but it didn't. We then closed the valves on the radiators that were hot to try to force water into the ones that were cold, but still no heat. Then when we tried switching the previously hot radiators back on they wouldn't reheat. We must have a blockage somewhere or we're doing something really stupid!!!

Can anyone help please????

P.S. The issue in the loft and the overflow I am told is normal as we have a system with no thermostat on our hot water so while it is switched on it just carries on heating.

P.S. The issue in the loft and the overflow I am told is normal as we have a system with no thermostat on our hot water so while it is switched on it just carries on heating.

That is anything but normal, and will lead to sludge and corrosion that you now seem to have.

You could take the rads off, and draw water through both pipes, assuming it's a two pipe system.

Stick 2 bottle of "Hyperflush" in, and leave it for a month. You will gradually notice an improvement.
Just filling and draining with water is about as effective as washing up without fairy.

Thank you - That was our next move to buy some sludge remover. Was looking at B@Q's Sentinal (£15/litre). Is Hyperflush something similar and/or better?

Hyperflush is made by Kamco, pretty good stuff that can stay in the system for a month.
All these types of cleaner only work when the boiler is running, and as it is still fairly mild, you want something that can stay there for a while.

Where would be the best place to get this from - plumbers merchants, I guess?

Call Kamco, they keep a list of all their stockists. Google their website, it will also give you more info on chemicals.

I logged on to the Kamco website and found some stockists in Berkshire so thanks very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back