No downstair lights and can find No consumer unit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I turned on the kitchen light and it went 'pop' and now none of the downstairs lights work ( all other electric in the house works!).
I thought the curcuit breaker must have 'flipped' but I can't find a consumer unit in my house! I have checked near the electicity meter but can only find 3 swithes. I can't find any fuses or curcuit breakers either.
Any Ideas?? PLEASE!

Sponsored Links
i would guess its the 3 switches, better description or even a pic would help.

consumers unit is usually within 2m of lecy meter

Describe the switches in greater detail?? Cable size into and out of them?? Size??

Thank you, that means i don't have a consumer unit then!
I have 3 switches - 1 'big one' that turns off all the electric!
the other 2 are smaller but are still 'on'. would they not turn off if they are over loaded? how do I get my power back without a curcuit breaker to 'flip' back on?
An electrian was stumped when i spoke to him!
I don't know the cable size, I am just stumped that I can't fix what seems to be a simple problem of a flipped switch ( which i haven't got!) I'm sorry maybe this forum if to technical for me and maybe I shouldn't have joined in!

Sponsored Links
No, that does not mean you have no CU. Don't be ungrateful.

My guess is that you have the very old style of unit which just looks like a metal rectangular box with a big switch on, but inside there are seperate fuses for the various circuits.

If this is the case:

Care is needed when removing the cover and handling the fuses.

Switch off first. There should be a screw on the front which will retain the lid - sometimes you need a driver, and sometimes it is possible to undo by hand.

Take care once inside not to touch any wiring or there may be a shock risk.

You should find ceramic fuses of differing sizes: the lighting should be a smaller fuse carrier using 5A fuse wire.

What size are the smaller boxes? How old is your property and wiring?

Could be really old school switch fuses (brown in color, about 4 by 4 inch??)

Whatever it is, mate, the fuses are concealed from view. £2.00 it's metalclad....

DIYDAME can you post a piccy?

I have a piccy but can't figure out how to post it! MEM is written on the smaller switch!

How do I put a photo up for you all to see?? a photo of the electric meter- before you lot get any ideas!!!
I am really touched by your response.

I meant a photo of the electric meter- before you lot get any ideas!!!

see here

or you can use webbucket (but instructions are the same)

p.s. have you a fridge magnet? if so see will it "stick" to the big box, this is to determine if i win £3.00, then put it back on fridge. also does it have any writing, letters?

metercupboard.jpg

Let's hope that works!
The fridge magnet did not stick to any of the boxes, but they do have MEM written on them!!

you are right, you havent got a consumers unit, you have got 3 consumers units.

i should say the bottom one is for shower, top one cooker?

middle one is the one you want (probably) you need to switch it off then there is probably a little screw at the bottom hoding on the lid, undo this, remove lid, and look for a 5 amp fuse carrier (probably white) the one that has gone will have no wire on it when you take it out. you need to replace the wire with 5 amp fuse wire. NO BIGGER
then reverse process to put it all back.

if you like can you open it and post pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back