No earth on Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been to a house today and found the lights had no earth cable. Most of the lights in the house are metal fittings. The lady dosn't want it rewiring as its just been decorated, so would putting them on an RCD be sufficient?
I inspected the fuseboard only to find that they was no main earth bonding from the MET. They was simply 1 cable from the seath (TN-S) to the MET and nothing else connected to it :eek:
Needless to say i immediately sorted this for her and explained nothing in the house had been earthed.
If on a PIR what number would no earth on lighting crcuits be?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just be aware that metal fittings doesn't always mean class 1 fittings, a lot of the time it does, but check for the concentric squares first :)

Adding to the light circuit would be a no-no really, but if you are doing other work on different, then a note on the cert for existing install and a explanation to the client would be in order (actually thats the case regardless of whether or not you do anywork, you're a professional, you know there is something up, you have a duty of care to bring the matter up) I suppose in todays world, signed acknowledgements from the client might be a good idea, though I'm not sure we are that much like the US just yet...

Talking of the US... they allow GFI instead of earthing on older ungrounded circuits(probably a combination of 10ma devices as standard and a 110v to ground system make it a bit better than if such a system was used over here), we don't, however RCD is better than no RCD (unless it cuts the lights and you fall down the stairs!)... and you'll still feel a shock from an RCD circuit btw, so its no real subsitute

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back