no f&e tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me?
i have removed and replaced a like for like indirect hot water cylinder with gravity circs and when i came to refill the system the cylinder refilled and the cold storage tank no problem, however when waiting for the rads to start bleedeing and they didnt.....
so i had a look in the loft to find no f&e tank and just the one feed from the cold storage tank to the cylinder? where is this heating system fed from??? can anyone shed some light on my problem?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it wasn't a Primatic cylinder you took out.

What is the make and model of the boiler.

i would say you have refitted a indirect cylinder but took out a primatic.

primatic1.jpg

have a look in the old cylinder bet you can't see a coil.

no its definetly not a primatic, i have never come across the problem before? but the customer is addament that theyve never had a problem before and its been drained and refilled as the water has been turned on, but i have no idea how this can be possible?

Sponsored Links
It MUST BE A PRIMATIC- think about it for a minuite, when you drained the primary and secondary circuits you obviously tied up the ball valve or otherwaise on the CWS Tank, YOU HAVN'T Tied up a ball valve on an F&E Tank, as you would not be askingking this question!!!

Where do you think the Primary circuit was getting its water from??? :confused:

OP,

The customer?

Your not calling yourself a plumber are you?

Paul.

Can I assume that you have not yet taken the old cylinder to the, erm, 're-cycling' centre?

If you have not, a 'single feed' indirect cylinder (primatic) has female threads for the primary connections. I would respectfully suggest that you check this ASAP.

DH

Is it a sealed system and it was empty when you removed the cylinder, is it the highest point.
Is there a unit on cylinder cold feed about the size of party 7 beer can? if there is its a hydro-spartan and works on same principle as primatic. It could be full of crud. Horrible things.

if you have old cylinder still, cut a big hole in it, if you cant see anything looking like a coil your stuffed and out of pocket. Dread to think what a primatic costs, can you still get them!

Simple solution is to add a header tank and drop a cold feed and vent down to the primary pipes.

Certainly the cheapest as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back