No heating downstairs AGAIN!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi ICOS boiler with a microbore system.

The boiler was only replaced 3 years ago and is working. It was checked last Xmas when we had a house fire and checked again the other month.

Half my radiators were replaced 5 years ago and the pump is in working order.

This is a common problem with my heating!!!

I have heating upstairs but none whatsoever downstairs. Normally when the downstairs heating goes it is just the living room, strangely the two new rads, but this time I have lost the hall, kitchen and toilet heating.

Have tried bleeding the rads, not that! The pipes going in to the rad are hot but the rads are stone cold, they went seperately one at a time.

We can't call out an engineer. I have fiddled with every part I can think of from the past but still no joy. We turned all the upstairs off to try and get it to push through. I really don't want a third winter without heating, any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, we are not in a position where we can afford to change the pipes. Will look at the link.

Sponsored Links
have you got TRVs on the cold rads? Are the pins stuck?

do you know when it was last cleaned, and with what chemical; and do you know what inhibitor was added, when?

have you got TRVs on the cold rads? Are the pins stuck?

do you know when it was last cleaned, and with what chemical; and do you know what inhibitor was added, when?

No idea when last cleaned. Husband has constantly fiddled all day with people's suggestions and all but the living room rads are starting to warm up. That leaves the two living room rads. there is heat in the pipes but not going in to the rad?? Have tried turning the TRV's up and down and off.

thanks

Depending on the type of TRV you need to remove the head of the TVR, the bit you rotate and see if the pin which protrudes from whats left of the TRV still attached to the radiator moves in and out.If pushed in it should tend to slowly ease its way out again. If its not doing this i have found a squirt of wd40 and moving the pin back and forth with pliers eases it and water can flow through the valve into the rad. Some people hit the pin with a hammer to free it , this can cause leaks through the pins gland, up to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back