No hot stop tap, so can I use a bung in the cold tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am unable to find a stop tap between the cold water storage tank in the loft and the hot water tank. There is a tap in the airing cupboard but is on the main rise to the cold water storage tank; this makes me think that this tap was put on the wrong pipe as there is also a stop tap on the main as it comes into the house.

Consequently, to enable me to change a hot tap washer in the kitchen without emptying both the cold and hot water tanks, could I put a rubber bung in the union to the pipe connected to the hot water tank. The water pressure should hold the bung in place and obviously, I can check that there is no significant passage of water before I disassemble the hot tap.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You can indeed put a bung in the loft tank outlet, but you can also tie up the ball valve of the tank and let the tank drain when you have a cuppa!
You'll just lose that tank full of cold water, and very little hot.
John :)

Bung it yes. I use bungs from the chemist that are designed to go into different sized medicine bottles so that you can pull out medicine into a syringe for small babies.

Some have a cap and some need a bit of silicone into blank a hole.

Either way, make sure the pipe is clean, that you can get a clean cut with a roller cutter and that you have a push fit stop end in case it all goes Pete Tong. Lever valve always preferable to a god-awful gate valve.

Oh, and a quick prayer to the Goddess of Water as you cut the pipe, always works for me.

Sponsored Links
Before you do that, check if there is a gate valve in loft near tank, sometime there is gate valve fitted in loft or in airing cupboard.

Daniel.

Bung it and quickly fit a gate valve. That way you're not relying on the bung for too long. You can buy purpose made bungs.

Just don't bung the vent as well, wouldn't want an imploded cylinder :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back