How do you "bung"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.....need to stop the hot water to change the bathroom taps, how do I bung the system...and is this the best way to prevent a possible airlock? To describe the system in brief....there is the tank in the loft that has a pipe that goes from that into the hot water cylinder below, that particular pipe has a stopcock type handle, am I correct in assuming I need to turn this to the closed position? Thanks

Sponsored Links
giz $50 and i will explain :LOL: :LOL:

you stop the water going out of the tank and you stop air getting in the vent

nothing in nothing out status quo

so then within reason you can do

"whatever you want" :LOL: :LOL:

yeah i know just couldn't resist :oops:

:oops:

only read the header

shouldnt make any odds

=====================================================

OP turn the valve off and see what happens

Sponsored Links
Yes Kev, that sounds a great way of imploiding the cylinder

by far the safest way for a DIYer to work on a system is to drain the Cold water tank. Just remember to call a Plumber when you fill up and get an air lock :LOL:

by far the safest way for a DIYer to work on a system is to drain the Cold water tank. Just remember to call a Plumber when you fill up and get an air lock :LOL:

Hi, thanks for the reply......is there any way of doing this method and not getting an airlock? ie a specific precedure so you don't end up with an airlock when you fill up.

thanks

need to stop the hot water to change the bathroom taps ...there is the tank in the loft that has a pipe that goes from that into the hot water cylinder below, that particular pipe has a stopcock type handle, am I correct in assuming I need to turn this to the closed position?
Yes. If cold water can't get into the cylinder, hot water can't get out.

Even though you are only changing one tap it's best to open all the hot taps , it ensures the water drains out of the one you are working on. When you have finished changing the taps, turn the stopcock on. There will be a noise as the air is expelled from all the taps, which can be turned off when the water is running freely.

need to stop the hot water to change the bathroom taps ...there is the tank in the loft that has a pipe that goes from that into the hot water cylinder below, that particular pipe has a stopcock type handle, am I correct in assuming I need to turn this to the closed position?
Yes. If cold water can't get into the cylinder, hot water can't get out.

Even though you are only changing one tap it's best to open all the hot taps , it ensures the water drains out of the one you are working on. When you have finished changing the taps, turn the stopcock on. There will be a noise as the air is expelled from all the taps, which can be turned off when the water is running freely.

Hi, thanks that's great....just one question.....do i leave the hot water taps open or do i close them once the water stops running out of them..thanks again

leave it open don't matter.
if your changing the bath taps leave the lower kitchen one open then if the bung don't seal 100% the waters got somewhere to go rather than up the pipe your working on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back