No Hot Water - Heating working fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Starting today, the hot water on my Combi boiler has failed. The central heating works very well and so has the hot water up until today. Now however, the hot water it remains cold. There are no warning indicators on the boiler to suggest any problems but clearly there is one. I took a brief look at it myself, fiddled around with a few sensor connections, added a very small quantity of extra pressure, fiddled with the hot water control and for a time it started to work again but its failed this evening yet the central heating is working perfectly. I feel as though when I switch on the hot water, the central heating heats up but that might be my imagination.
When I switch on the hot water and go to where the boiler is, it fires up with all the correct lights etc but fails to provide me with hot water.

It's a Baxi HE133 Plus. 3 years old and has worked absolutely brilliantly up until today.

Any "Genuine" advice would be appreciated please. I am only interested in what the problem might be, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Diverter valve stuck in CH position and not returning.

(Also the thing about western capitalism)

The diverter is motor driven and the mechanical part is probably stuck. Its fairly common on your model.

You will find that turning on a hot tap for 10-15 minutes will cause the rads to heat up!

Tony

Agile said:
The diverter is motor driven and the mechanical part is probably stuck. Its fairly common on your model.
I wish I'd thought of the diverter valve.

Sponsored Links
Blimey you wait a whole hour for a diverter valve diagnosis and then three turn up all at once.

I thought that softus had thought of it but had not explained exactly how it had failed ( or that the rads will be heating ).

He was very clear that he only wanted genuine advice on exactly what the problem is! I suspect he wants to fix it himself!

Tony

Well at least he's got a second (and third) opinion if he's the doubtful type :LOL:

Diverter valve is stuck........

Remove the actuator head, (press 1mm² button underneath and twist 30°)

Check actuator head is not stuck in c/h mode (pushing spring in).

If spring assy won't move with thumb pressure... Using pliers push/pull spring assy until free.

So its the diverter valve then? :):):) From what you all say, that sounds about right in my book.

Thanks for the mass of responses. I will be attempting this myself
as it does not sound too difficult. Whilst I was looking around yesterday I found what I believe to be the Actuator (well it was a black box with the words "Actuator" written on it) so I will look at trying to fix it before calling in the experts. Of course, its on my head if it goes wrong.

To clarify, is it a case of just removing the Actuator box and then easing the valve and spring? Are there any water valve's I need to turn off. (yes I know to turn off at electric). Will the Gas supply need turning off?

Thanks!

FooManChu said:
So its the diverter valve then? :):):) From what you all say, that sounds about right in my book.
You have a good book there.

To clarify, is it a case of just removing the Actuator box and then easing the valve and spring?
See baxpoti's post.

Are there any water valve's I need to turn off.
No.

Will the Gas supply need turning off?
No.

Have you got a brother called Colin?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back