no hot water or heating from sabre he 25 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While running a bath the hot water went cold and has been ever since. I have tried putting the heating on but thats cold too. Manual says green light should flash every 8 seconds but it is every 4-5 seconds. when you turn hot tap on you can hear boiler making usual noise as if it is firing up, but nothing. Anyone help as i don't have a clue and don't want ripped off when i call out a plumber. If you could tell me what is wrong and possibly how much i should expect to pay, that would be great

Sponsored Links
What does the manual say about a green light flashing every 4-5 seconds? Is the pressure between 1 and 2 bar?

When was it last serviced?

Cost wise? Dunno, as a scot installer... round my way - £80 ish depending on time and before parts.

manual only mentions light being other colour or on every 0.5 seconds. pressure is between 1 and 2 but previous to fault i was having to top it up frequently. is this a leak (water? ). not been serviced since installing 4 years ago

Why do you think you are going to be ripped off by a plumber!!! there are alot of us around who are very honest.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
My daughter had this same problem the other day, ran a bath OK but next time ran hot tap the boiler refused to fire up. She had not tried the heating yet only the DHW (Domestic Hot Water). The boiler is only about 18 months old.

Got the phone call "Help Dad !"

The installers had only left a user guide and a contact phone number ....
So the first thing to do was to download and printout the 22 page Manual from the Sabre website, as the User Guide has minimal information.
http://www.sabreboilers.co.uk/sabrehe.html Installation & Service Instructions (7.8mb).
Having looked up similar faults on this forum and studied the Manuals fault finding guides and ignition cycle process and interlocks, it was pretty obvious that the most common fault is a blocked venturi tube on these boilers, preventing the boiler to fire up. Another possibility was the condenser outlet .
Went round today and sure enough the boiler was making all the right noises - pump running and fan running but no ignition ! Looking at the boiler - at the top right hand corner is the pressure switch with two grey wires on it and the pressure sensing tubes, two clear plastic pipes going to the venturi and a straight vent pipe.
With everything switched off ! Disconnected the clear plastic tubes from the pressure switch and tried to blow through each one. The straight vent was clear, passing air, but the venturi was blocked, initially not passing any air through it at all, then clearing a bit allowing some air through. The venturi pipe cannot be taken off from the outside for cleaning (design error) unlike the other vent which is held by a single screw. So I used a length of multi-strand wire and stripped off about 15mm to form a chimney sweep brush and used this to clean the venturi tube blockage. The Venturi tube is an angled pipe so the wire had to flex around the corner then was pulled, pushed and twisted to clean the tube. I then blew through the venturi again and the air passed through with no problem, but note this tube offers more air resistance anyhow due to the right angle. Then put the tubes back on the pressure switch. I also did take a look at the condensing outlet at bottom right of the boiler to check it was also clear OK.

Then switched everything back on and BINGO - all fired up OK . A blocked venturi pipe as expected......although everything looked very clean on this nearly new Sabre 25HE somehow it had the venturi tube problem after only 18 months use.

"Thanks Dad, want a cup of tea and a chocolate digestive ?"

:D

Hi I would just like to add some input here as I have had a problem for quite a long time with my sabre 25he, Firstly about 18 month ago I was getting the red light & could only reset it by switching appliance off & back on, I noticed the problem was related to airflow as it performed fine when either the round inspection plate on top was removed to introduce more airflow, so I removed the restrictor from the air flu witch immediately remedied the problem although I wondered why it worked fine prior to doing this, anyway it worked for a further 6 months fine & started to play up again related to air flow, just as I was contemplating buying a replacement I gave it another look & fixed the problem completely ,It was the condensing pipe that runs diagonally under the system that's connected to the plastic ball valve device I removed it & found at the end connected to the down pipe (where it is elbowed) it was full of lime scale to the point of being completely blocked over time , luckily it was just at the elbow & I poked through the lime with a screwdriver end to clear it & sucked the scale out with a vacuum cleaner I also ran a pipe cleaner down it & checked it was totally clear reassembled it & it now performs as it did when new ,I just thought that if anyone else had this issue it could be the same as it was in my case.. thank you & good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back