No hot water!! please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a vokera Excell 80 boiler and it has developed a fault.

Central heating works 100% ok. However i have no hot water :(

I have removed the front cover and had a good look about. I have noticed the 'fulcram arm' is not moving. If I move the fulcram arm manually it pushes the micro switch and the boiler fires up, with the tap running I get hot water!

I have been reading about on this forum and am I right in saying it is a diaphragm of some sort?

The 'pin' does not come out of the valve to force the 'fulcram arm' over onto the switch.

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
its the diaphragm. ten minutes to change.

10 mins?

I've ordered a T00019 kit from ebay.

It looks like it has 5 screws and the cover comes off. What do I need to do to stop the water coming out?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
You turn on a hot tap and turn off the water inlet valve! I often fiond that on this model they are actually stopcocks.

The water from the hot tap should stop to flow and then you can start work.

I would not expect to do that job in 10 minutes.

If Nikso could do it in 10 minutes the BG would have him doing 16 jobs a day but I think they only ask for 11 jobs so draw your own conclusions!

Tony

You turn on a hot tap and turn off the water inlet valve! I often fiond that on this model they are actually stopcocks.

If Nikso could do it in 10 minutes the BG would have him doing 16 jobs a day but I think they only ask for 11 jobs so draw your own conclusions!

Tony

lol thanks !! ;)

Tony

ah, a reply from glazier, the king of misinformation and the slowest worker in the world. :rolleyes:

i regularly do the actual change in ten minutes. ok for a novice ill allow 20 mins. :)

turn off mains water to boiler turning the black knob on the furthest right pipe clockwise. turn on a hot tap, preferably lower than the boiler and leave it turned on. isolate boiler electrics. remove case (perhaps challenging for tony and novices). remove fulcrum arm by unscrewing brass scew on underside (keep a hold of the often loose nut on top of arm). undo the diaphram housing screws. crack open the housing and let any water run out into a bucket or whatever under the boiler. remove screws and pull the housing off (take note of the diaphram orientation) remove old diaphragm and scrape off the residue left behind on the housing and plate. clean the pin if necessary. as good old haynes says, assembly is the reverse of removal. you may or may not need to replace the gland for the pin, i find them quite reliable, grease it though.

Sounds more like 10 mins 11.5 seconds to me ;)

Agile obviously thinks you change 16 diaphragms each and everyday :rolleyes:

ah, a reply from glazier, the king of misinformation and the slowest worker in the world. :rolleyes:

i regularly do the actual change in ten minutes. ok for a novice ill allow 20 mins. :)

turn off mains water to boiler turning the black knob on the furthest right pipe clockwise. turn on a hot tap, preferably lower than the boiler and leave it turned on. isolate boiler electrics. remove case (perhaps challenging for tony and novices). remove fulcrum arm by unscrewing brass scew on underside (keep a hold of the often loose nut on top of arm). undo the diaphram housing screws. crack open the housing and let any water run out into a bucket or whatever under the boiler. remove screws and pull the housing off (take note of the diaphram orientation) remove old diaphragm and scrape off the residue left behind on the housing and plate. clean the pin if necessary. as good old haynes says, assembly is the reverse of removal. you may or may not need to replace the gland for the pin, i find them quite reliable, grease it though.

i will second this, easiest job on the excell

but i can do it in 9min 32secs!!!! :LOL:

Agile obviously thinks you change 16 diaphragms each and everyday :rolleyes:

i'd like nothing better, might get a bit tedious but can you imagine the money i'd make on individual bonuses? :D

?? Crack open housing?? whats that mean pls, I thought the housing was held in with the 5 screws??

I'm a bit confused, I understand the rest perfectly but not the crack the housing off,

Help!!! :)

Sorry missread it, THANKS A MILLION!!! really appreciate it,

Just another quicky, how much water should I expect as there is very little room under the boiler especially for a bucket?

:mrgreen:

very little water will come out if you leave the hot tap open and the tap is lower than the boiler, when you loosen the screws and crack open the housing you may hear a hissing noise which will be all the water draining out of the boiler/pipework.

if its higher you might get more out. either way it usually amounts to a cup full.

Thanks for all the replies I now have my boiler up and running. The kit came this morning and it took me about 45 mins to do it from start to finish.

Here is the offending diaphragm,

DSCF0001-2.jpg

Thanks again!!!! :mrgreen:

The kit came this morning and it took me about 45 mins to do it from start to finish.

Thanks again!!!! :mrgreen:

Well you would obviously not be in the running for a job at british Gas where they do it in just 10 minutes!

That will help to explain why I saw this BG van parked for lunch for nearly two hours last week!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back