no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please

Had a new baxi Solo HE fitted in the new year,
Since then I have experienced on occasion no hot water at the taps,
Sometimes runs for 2 mins and stops, rang plumber who fitted it and he said I needed a pump fitting into system,
Q 1, if it required this why was it not fitted first off,
Q 2 if it has been working without the oump why do I need it now,
Q 3 How do I rectify this situation as I feel that a quote for the pump and labour is very high, I have hot water at the tank but it have no flow to taps upstairs or downstairs,
Any advice most welcome
:cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
need a bit more info on your system such as what valves you have, cylinder stat ect. when you say no hot water do you mean no water at all or it runs cold ?

many thanks for the quick response Picasso, I am out this morning but will get back to you with all info later, thanks again
speak soon
George:cool:

morning Picasso

No water at all so not sure where to go from here, will get back to you on Valves and stat later,
All I know at this stage is
Baxi boiler Solo HE A range
sorry for the lack of info
speak soon

George

Sponsored Links
couple of things for you to check , run the hot water and check the big tank in the loft has water in it and is filling , I am assuming you dont have an unvented cylinder and there should be a valve like the one below near your hot water cylinder, make sure its fully open.

View media item 34935

Subject: RE: hot water

Hi Picasso

I believe it has a Honeywell gate valve and the cylinder stat sits on the side of the hot water tank.

The water in the tank is hot and it will run out of any of the hot taps for 30 seconds max then stops totally.

Cheers Mate
I am trying to deal with this away from home a bit difficult having to relay everything, I am told we have cold water, will check your last one
regards
George

Maybe the plumber knows the pump is faulty?

Pump about £85 and fitting about £84. What has he quoted you that you think is too high?

Is this an English plumber or a French plombier?

Tony

Morning Agile

Was an English plumber, the one who installed the system, now says it needs a pump.
Quote 198 for the pump and 85 for the labour
trying to deal with this while I am in france so a bit hectic .
Thanks for the advice though will consider all options after we can check a few things
regards

George:cool: :cool:

The labour is only one pound more than I suggested.

We dont know which pump but the usual Grunfoss domestic 15-60 pumps are about £85 or so.

Point him towards a pump in the Screwfix catalogue which you can view online and ask him why he is quoting so much!

Tony

I cant tell from the information so far but the chances are its a standard system with a hot water cylinder and a cold tank in the loft, chances are the gate valve has broken and restricting the flow and/or causing it to air lock, cant understand why the plumber wants to put a pump in when the only thing to change (as far as I know) is a new boiler.

sounds like an airlock or obstruction from the feed tank or lack of water as picasso stated before. Is he talking about changing the circulation pump from the boiler?? Thats to pump the water from the boiler around the system not for your dhw? id just call someone else out. sounds like whoever it is is just after making some money off you.

Nath

Thank you all that has responded so far, I will check all these things you have advised me on later when returning home and let you know how we go on, once again thank you very much, at least we can track the offending problem down

regards

George

Agile do you actually know how c/heating works why are you talking about a standard grundfos c/heating pump for no water coming out of tap.

Op when your tap is workin properly check that that ball valve in tank is gushing out .
If its just trickling as such and you have a bath or shower (if connected to cylinder) you are using all water up out of the tank and letting air into the pipework.
Other than that you may have some sort of other blockage or restriction

Thank you Namsag will check this out and get back with the results

Regarsd

George

Update on the hot water

many thanks to all contributors yesterday, the problem has now been solved thanks to the imput of people on here.
On searching the attic there were two cisterns, the smaller one of the 2 had ceased to function thus not allowing any water to flow. cleaned everything and tried it and HEY Presto it works,
So much for the Pump to be installed??.
many thanks again

Regards

George :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back