No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH hot water has packed up!! If i run a tap and hold the micro switch down on the diverter valve it works fine,I've replaced the diaphragm in the water section but it's still the same.Do i need to replace the diverter valve :( Which is what i think or is there anything else to try? It would only work with the tap on full last night,then worked perfectly this morning,now nothing.Any ideas?? It's a Vailant Turbomax 242E.

Sponsored Links
have you got enough constant water pressure went out to the same problem last week the dhw heat exchange was scaled up. it nealy cost them a new diverter as there seemed enough water pressure to fire it up. so i tested the diverter on a hose pipe first.

Well we do have VERY hard water here(Telford,Shropshire) Water pressure at the taps is good,so do i need a heat exchanger or diverter valve?? How can i test these to find out which one?? Thanks for any help.....(As said did replace the diaphragm but this made NO difference,it's strange how juts prior to it packing up completely it's worked better than ever for a few minutes!! IE,it would kick in with the hot tap just turned on to a trickle,usually it would need more flow to kick in)

Ok,some more info.I decided to look at the diverter valve in more detail,i removed the micro switch that tells the boiler to fire,i could then see the lever move when the hot water tap was turned on,i could also see that this lever moved the same amount if the tap was on full or just a trickle.I then bent the lever on the micro switch so that it would activate when the lever moved and it's all OK now!! I can't see that the diverter valve actuator is sticking as when i turned the tap on i couldn't "help" it move further,does this sound just like a faulty micro switch?? This is the only thing i can think of-that maybe the switch part has depressed further inside the switch housing than usual which is why i had to bend the lever.There no way that the micro switch lever would bend over time.hope this makes sense!!

Sponsored Links
drgl
don't start bending things,adding washers or otherwise upsetting the balance ! the tolerance / set points has been tried and tested by the manufacturer, a short term fix may lead to more serious damage

Thing is,i can't see that the actuator on the diverter valve will move any lower so i think it just a faulty micro switch(the part i have bent) Is it possible for diverter valves to stick??(And i mean stick HARD as the actuator won't move any lower than it already does with the tap on full) What feads the pressure to the diverter valve that in turn moves the actuator when DHW is drawn??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back