No kerb appeal & ugly rear extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=10739

Link to a few pictures.
Here is a house that I really like, wife does not. Its ugly she says but admits it has potential. I hope you can see these 3 pics. I hate the look of the rear extension, its a different brick use to the front. I hate the flat roof. I don't like the front door & porch. The front door can only be opened from inside :eek: I like the bay but hate the tiny windows in the front right bedroom, see pic 10/12.

Its up now on rightmove, http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35992484.html. They bought it 18 months ago.

How would you make this place look atractive, render & paint?. Can you put a skin of different bricks around the current house? I have no idea what to do with it but I like the size of the rooms.

Any advice most welcome, thats my first post done.

Paul

Sponsored Links
front door - remove the 'glass brick' effect full height glazed infill panels and brick in with glazed door and normal windows.

Brick/clad over the door and window and over the top above the bay roof, to get rid of the expanse of white painted 'lintel'. If you render over the whole lot you'll get rid of the stone cladding below the bay as well.

Rear extension could be clad in better matching brick or rendered. It might be possible to fit a pitched roof over it, depending on whether that would obstruct windows.

The front right bedroom windows can't be taken any higher because of the slope of the ceiling, but you could remove the ceiling and open the front of the room up to the roof tile level, and fit velux windows. You might even remove the front of the house wall at that point and have continuous velux windows up the wall and over the roof. Planners might not like it though. That could give room for a 'high sleeper' mezzanine style bed as well.

The kitchen is very disappointing and poorly laid out. There's a reason why the house has been extended - the ground floor was too small for 4 bdrooms. Extending it has added space but not necessarily improved the layout.

thanks for you comments, some good ideas there. I was thinking of extending over the bay window upstairs to increase the bedroom 4 dims. Put a roof on it and pop in a nice big front window. I guess I would have to get the footing checked out to see if it could be done.

I agree with the porch. Would you believe that front door can only be opened from the inside. You have to go round the side to get in.

I was hoping to get the rear extension rendered and may go the whole way & the whole house done at the same time.

It`s a classic 70`s Bunker :rolleyes: . if you render it you`ll have to paint it forever :idea: It`s a monstrosity :LOL: it allways will be . And think how badly insulated a 70`s house is compared to a new one . I`m a traditionalist , but I grew up with the dross that was 60`s 70`s building " "design" For that money I`d go ultra modern eco friendly . Even the swimming pool is pointless - a hot tub in an orangery is where it`s at now ;)

Sponsored Links
Swimming pool in the garden ehh.. Make a very nice Koi pond. ;) ;) ;) ;)

I agree render that lot, get rid of them glass block on the front (glass or brick up) then paint it white. Would be ok for me then.

Round back i wouldnt worry about that extension its only the roof that makes it look poo imo.

Throw a load of fish in that pool as they will get more use out of it than you or build a conservatory over the whole thing and make it indoor, hook up a pool heater then it would be great.

As a public spirited gesture, I have emailed Google and asked them to blur this house out on Google Maps and Streetview

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back