No live from the boiler to the pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you tell me which Good boilers do not require a live feed between the boiler and the pump.

I only know of one so far which is the Glowworm flexicom.

By the way it will be a 15w or a 18w.

Thank You

Paul

Sponsored Links
Might be wrong, but I thought the flexicom needed pump overun. Baxi Solo, Potty Promax & Ideal Icos don't need pump overun as long as there is a bypass, or the system is not fully trv'd.

Sponsored Links
Please could somebody explain the purpose of the pump overun wire.
The pump needs to run for a few minutes after the boiler turns off to prevent the boiler overheating.

Why do you particularly want a boiler without pump over run?

I have been told that when my boiler is changed that a new cable will need to be run from the pump (based upstairs in the airing cupboard) to the boiler. I imagine that this means carpet coming up, floor boards coming up.

As I am not fixed on one brand of boiler I thought that to save that trouble it would make the boiler swap a lot easier if I chose a boiler which did not require this extra cable being run.

I have been told that when my boiler is changed that a new cable will need to be run from the pump (based upstairs in the airing cupboard) to the boiler. I imagine that this means carpet coming up, floor boards coming up.
Which boiler do you have at the moment?

Are the pump, motorized valve, cylinder thermostat and, possibly, timer all in the airing cupboard, connected via a wiring centre (junction box)?

Where is the main power connection for the heating system - in the airing cupboard or by the boiler?

What type of boiler will you be installing - combi, system or regular (heat only)?

There may be ways round the problem.

Which boiler do you have at the moment?

Are the pump, motorized valve, cylinder thermostat and, possibly, timer all in the airing cupboard, connected via a wiring centre (junction box)?

Where is the main power connection for the heating system - in the airing cupboard or by the boiler?

What type of boiler will you be installing - combi, system or regular (heat only)?

There may be ways round the problem.

Ideal Classic rs40 (I think this was put in when the house was built - about 21 years old)

Upstairs there is the cylinder, pump, cylinder thermostat and small junction box.

The main power supply I think is in the kitchen with the boiler as this is where the fuse switch is. Also the electric junction box is there.

I will be installing a open vented heat only boiler (This is because I have economy 7 - about 78% of my usage is at night time). I would not want to lose this.

Ideal Classic rs40

Upstairs there is the cylinder, pump, cylinder thermostat and small junction box.

The main power supply I think is in the kitchen with the boiler as this is where the fuse switch is. Also the electric junction box is there.
Is there a plug and socket or fused spur in the airing cupboard connected to the junction box?
How many wires in the cable from boiler to airing cupboard?

I will be installing a open vented heat only boiler (This is because I have economy 7 - about 78% of my usage is at night time). I would not want to lose this.
Don't follow your logic here. Economy 7 is cheap night time electricity; you pay the same for gas all the time!. The savings from running your pump and other electrical components at night will be negligible!

The glow worms need a pump over run.

Ideals need a permanent live.

Baxi solo only requires S/L, N and earth.

Viessmann 100 can be installed without pump overrun and are excellent boilers with a 5 year warranty if installed by an approved installer :D

Ideal Classic rs40

Is there a plug and socket or fused spur in the airing cupboard connected to the junction box?
How many wires in the cable from boiler to airing cupboard?

Don't follow your logic here. Economy 7 is cheap night time electricity; you pay the same for gas all the time!. The savings from running your pump and other electrical components at night will be negligible!

I was just saying that as I use my immersion heater to heat ALL hot water so I don't want to have a combi and lose my cylinder.

Is your boiler actually attached to cylinder.
You dont realise then that gas is actually cheaper to heat your cylinder even with economy 7 reduced rate??

Fused spur? I am not sure but I do know that there is a immersion heater.

Number of wires coming from boiler = 3. I have just opened up the small box at the base of my boiler with the boiler thermostat on.

You will have to run a four, or five core cable if the new boiler has pump overrun and you want to retain the existing pump.

Another option is to install a system boiler, which has the pump incorporated into the boiler. You will still be able to retain your HW cylinder. This will get rid of the small tank in the loft. This gives you a much wider choice of boilers.

The installer would need to check your system to make sure it can withstand the increased system pressure without leaking.

On the HW side, you haven't answered Namsag's question

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back