No Main Equipotential Bonding.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm a bit worried...

I think i have no main equipotential bonding in my house. From the system installed (TN-S i think?), i can't see any bonding from the MET going off to any water/gas pipes etc. Please have a look and tell me what you think...

ConsumerUnit004.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think I can see 4 green wires. Where do they go?

It may be that your consumer unit (fuseboard) is earthed to the supply, and your pipes are earthed to the consumer unit. However I can see you have got an old brown Wylex that will probably not take more than a 10mm cable, and the installation is over 30 years old so may need general updating (including the bonding).

Let's see another photo of the bottom of the Service Head where the mains comes in. There might be an earth wire there. Also the right-hand side of the service head. It might have a terminal on it.

Also stand back and take a wider pic so we can see all the wires.

Sponsored Links
Can you crash a website with too many of them? I'm sure you've had your fair share... :LOL:

That third pic looks like there is a main earth fastened onto something... can you bend down and take the pic from below the Service Head. It looks to me as if there might be a crimped-on ring or something.

If you lean round to the right of the service head there may be a terminal on the far side of it.

Looks like you have avery big incoming cable, is it covered with metal or tarred cloth?

I now see you have two brown Wylexes and I think they are both bonded to earth.

I think you are going to have to buy some 10mm G&Y and some clamps and bond your incoming water and gas pipes. Use that big earth block.

Am going out for a bit now.

All those photo's have gone to his head - he needs some fresh air!!

Only kidding! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back