No mobile signal, how we rely on it, and other methods?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a holiday to the North East, not my normal area, and while there went to visit the Beamish museum, and I never even considered that I may loose touch with my wife.

Hired two mobility scooters, very good service, but half way through wife went ahead, and some how I missed where she had turned off, only then did I realise no google maps, no whats app, and no telephone. Did not expect a place with so many visitors not to have mobile phone coverage.

So what is the alternative? We could not travel abreast and she did not know I had lost sight of her. In future likely use PMR 466 radios, but they are bulky even if light. CB's far too heavy to carry around, but Beamish is rather a large area, I know I have tested PMR 466 in Shotton and could talk about half way to Chester, so around 4 miles, but one was high up, and we did get a problem with other users, they have the option of a tone squelch so other users are completely unaware there are other users of the channel.

I have 2 x PMR 466 and a ham band radio which can also get the same channels, but wondered what others do to keep in touch where phones don't work?

Sponsored Links
Don’t go out of sight of each other? Shout? Agree a meet up place if you are split up?
That was the idea, and since sitting on mobility scooters which could not be taken into buildings, thought I would spot her when I caught up. I managed to pass her, but then had no idea which direction to go to find her.

Been married 51 years, and still manage to loose her some times.

Sponsored Links
I did say I have 2 PMR 466 radios, seems they are best option then. Just wondered if any other options. Bit late now to get my wife licenced, so has to be radios not needing a licence.

I never even considered in the North East the mobile phone would not work, here in Wales yes, but Bemish is not in what one would consider as a hilly area, so had not packed the PMR 466 radios. We got them for use with push bikes, idea was one could here about a problem without stopping and answering, so one would know if one could continue to crest of a rise before stopping.

Channels 1 to 8 have been set to same tone squelch as local railway, the last 8 are not, but select a channel near centre and rare to get some one else using it. I also have some old CB handy's, but these are rather large compared with the PMR 466. Also have 2 meter and 70 cm but wife not licenced.

But there are new things coming out all the time, so thought worth asking what is around today.

My vote is also for PMR.

Just remember they are open channel and therefore avoid passing any confidential information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back