no permanent live for bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello not been on here for a while. My query is I have fitted a bathroom fan inc. timer but now need to wire it but my ceiling rose has no permanent live. can anyone link me to a diagram to help me wire it up. I will obviously be using an isolator outside of the room. Dom

Sponsored Links
my ceiling rose only has E, N, L coming in and the two core light fitting coming out?

Did you look at the link?

You mean like this?

electrics:lighting:loop_at_the_switch.jpg

Or this?

electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting:jb.gif

It's probably looped at the switch instead, or maybe a junction box

Sponsored Links
So at your ceiling you only have one set of cables (ignoring the flex to light)
Live, Neutral and Earth/CPC?
If so, as rjm2k has posted, the situation is you either have the live looped in at the bathroom light switch or you have junction boxes above the ceiling.
Take the switch cover off, isolating circuit first and describe what you have.
Do you have access to the area above the bathroom?

ok so there is one cable coming into the pull switch which has had the outer sheathing removed to enable the earth and live to be cut and terminated at the switch but the neutral is left continuous?

Can you post photos of both the rose and switch cables?

What do you mean by "the neutral is left continuous?"

You will find that one side of the pull cord lives is permanently live, normally the com or L. You need to test for voltage. That would be connected to a JB, unless it is the last light on circuit and all other switches are looped in live.

The incoming live to the switch is your permanent live. Check using a multimeter which of the lives is the feed and you can link from there.

so junction box is where i connect my permanent live etc?
If there is one then yes as it's the only place with a perm live, neutral, earth and switched live all of which will probably be needed by the fan.

But what did you mean by "the neutral is left continuous?" is the neutral in the switch, what does it do there?

so why is the neutral not connected into the switch? its just continuous

This is what's confusing, can you post a photo? What is the earth connected to in the switch?

It sounds like this may be the last light in the circuit so they've saved a join by combining the loop and switch in which case there is currently nowhere that has the combination of everything you need. If that's the case then you would need to break the neutral in the switch connect to a connector block and take your feed from the switch, but please post a photo before doing anything at all.

Is it something like this?

View media item 52620

I assume the the electrician has not cut the neutral and runs continuous in to switch and on to light.
So everything needed is at the pull cord switch. Just needs an isolator and some three core!

will try and get a photo up soon, but it is likely that it is the last light where it is. to explain it better though there is a live into the common and a live into the live terminal but the N terminal is empty just a N wire running into the switch casing and back out (looped) not bared off. earth connected to earth terminal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back