no permanent live for bathroom extractor

Sponsored Links
so from my isolator what connections do i make to the pull switch, can i cut the neutral looping into the pull switch and put both ends into the neutral terminal

You should use one of these as the isolator - note it's 3 pole

http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-...=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=212458

From the switch you will use 3 core and earth to the isolator, taking the live, switched live, neutral and earth, and then on from the isolator to the fan

Before you do anything please note I'm not a qualified electrician so take or leave my advice at your own risk.

If you take a three core and earth/CPC (even though an earth/CPC may not be required or terminal point to connect to at the fan. Still run the earth cable to the unit, sleeve with yellow and green and put in a small connection block, then tuck away safely)

You run all conductors (perm Live, switch live, neutral and CPC) from pull cord to the 3 pole fan isolator,
Terminate:
Switch Live at pull cord with black core of three and earth (this should be sleeved brown, to identify it) This will then go to L1 of fan ISO
Perm live at switch to brown core of three and earth to L2 of fan ISO
Connect neutral grey core (sleeve blue to ID it) to neutral of pull cord this needs to be broken in to and terminate in to a connection block, so three conductor ends will be present.
CPC to CPC terminals

Then from ISO
L1 to L1 of fan (switched)
L2 to L2 of fan (unswitched/perm live)
N to N of fan
CPC as previously mentioned

Sponsored Links
thats good i have bought that very isolator. where my neutral is not connected in my pull switch (just looping through) should i cut and bare it to join all 3 N into the switch N terminal. thanks by the way, Dom

thats good i have bought that very isolator.
That's handy
where my neutral is not connected in my pull switch (just looping through) should i cut and bare it to join all 3 N into the switch N terminal
If it's a two pole pull cord with N terminal, yes.
thanks by the way, Dom
No problem, we like to help!

But and there is often one, make yourself aware of this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Just to add, if it's a 2 pole switch, you will have 2N (loop in and fan isolator out) going into 1 neutral terminal and 1N (light out) coming out of the other, otherwise switching the light off will isolate N on the fan.

That is quite common, it saves having to use a connector. As stated you can connect a length of three core and earth at the switch if you cut the neutral and fit a connector to join the two sides and add the neutral from the three core and earth. join the live incoming to the permanent live in the 3core and e and the switch live to the switch live in your 3core and e. And of course join the earth to the earth.

sorry still dont understand the connections at the pull switch end
What don't you understand?

well Ive got everything up until the pull switch connected just not sure what to do there. I have a common, live and earth terminal being used and a redundant N terminal.
Do I put my black sleeved brown to the live
brown to common and grey sleeved blue to neutral?

as the fan is double insulated can i still terminate the earths in the isolator and switch?

Thanks all once again

Ah yes I was on the right track, happy to see I wasnt about to get it wrong.

Lastly am I ok to cut and connect this neutral loop into the redundant N terminal in the pull switch?

well Ive got everything up until the pull switch connected just not sure what to do there. I have a common, live and earth terminal being used and a redundant N terminal.
Do I put my black sleeved brown to the live
yes
brown to common
yes
and grey sleeved blue to neutral?
blue sleeved grey but yes
as the fan is double insulated can i still terminate the earths in the isolator and switch?
Terminate at switch, isolator and run to fan and connect in to small terminal block. It's will help with testing procedures, so still run it to the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back