No permission for a new wider window

J

jackson1

In 2006, we had 2 windows removed on the back of the house that were next to each other but different sizes on the same wall. the top of the windows were on the same level.
It was replaced with a new window that is about 2.5m in width, and the same height as the biggest of the 2 that it replaced.

There was never any permission from BC for this, as i was never told by the builder that it was required. (!) and i didnt know any better :(

A smaller window in the same room was bricked up at the same time.

Is permission required? How to i get permission, as were thinking of selling the house next summer.

Sponsored Links
As it was five years ago, I "think" providing no structural works were carried out (i.e. provided new lintels), then replacing an existing opening should be ok. Nowadays, the replacement would have to either be carried out by a registered person (e.g. FENSA) or a Building Regulation application be submitted.

I would also check with your local planning department although I can't see why permission would have been required. Depends if solicitors brought it up if/when you come to sell.

Thanks for the reply. They took out the 2 windows, and the bricks that were between them and put in a new lintel, then fitted the new window.

Sponsored Links
Which would have required a building regulation application.

Firstly, contact your planning department to establish whether planning permission would have been required. Once you have sorted that, speak to your building control department and you may have to submit a regularisation application/certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back