No power getting to electric shower

paulpa,
It's a fair point you make, I personally would not knock anyone attempting DIY. I have often done stuff around my house that I am untrained for.
But saying that I do some research first and weigh-up whether it is within my capabilities to do the task safely and well and I have the right equipment to carry that task out.
When it comes to trades and task/projects such as electrical, structural changes, gas and even water. The analysis of the persons competency should be taken on individual merit.
On some occasions it is plain to see that the person asking the question is out of their depths and with safety being paramount. Therefore on some occasion the best help is to advise the help of a skilled tradesperson.

Sponsored Links
Can i ask, why is the electrical forum on a DIY site when in most cases if any question is raised the usual response is get an electrician?

I am a keen supporter of DIY, with my wife we built our own house as a totally DIY project in 1980 and now I am living in and renovating a grade II listed 490 year old cottage as a totally DIY project for my new home.

But I do not advocate a person without the necessary knowledge taking on a DIY project where the dangers are not obvious. Electrical work is one area of DIY where there are many dangers that are un-seen. A person with the necessary knowledge and/or experience will be aware of these dangers and his or her design for the project and work on the project will ( as far as is possible ) prevent those un-seen dangers from happening.

When I do DIY work that is new to me I take time to learn what is necessary and do a what if analysis of what could go wrong. I have the time and patience to do that. Many of the posters here are looking for a rapid answer to problem that needs to be resolved as soon as possible. They do not have the time to learn what is needed so the best reply to them is to seek a electrician to solve the immediate problem and then learn how to deal with it should it or something similar happen again.

And there are some posters who have the answer, often an incorrect and dangerous one, who only want to hear that it is the right answer. To them the only advice has to be get an electrician.

Can i ask, why is the electrical forum on a DIY site when in most cases if any question is raised the usual response is get an electrician?
I would question whether it is 'most cases' but I haven't counted.

I think I would be correct in saying that from the questions asked we can tell if a person just wants the answer to a specific question relating to the job or whether they really don't have a clue.
Also, it is dangerous, both while doing the work and in the future.

To do DIY electrics a person should have the tools and equipment - a multimeter being the very minimum after a screwdriver and a pair of scissors.
Ideally test equipment should be used but no one-time DIYer is going to possess this.
Therefore, legally, no one should be doing DIY electrics apart from the simplest of jobs.

The promotional blurb you quote is applicable to all the sites, I presume, so will be for people wallpapering for the first time as well as the dangerous situations.

I personally have gained information from those that wish to help. Stating the obvious and getting an electrician however-is not that helpful.
In view of this - have you bought a multifunction installation test meter?
If not, why not?

I don't know why but the site is actually called DIYnot.

Sponsored Links
In view of this - have you bought a multifunction installation test meter?
If not, why not?

No, i pay to get it tested, and yes i have wondered too why it is DIY not :confused:

I always ask Electricians for advice too as i progress with electrics, cable sizes, cable runs etc etc.
Never would i put myself at risk, although having said that even qualified electricians can make mistakes, we are all only Human.
Building regs also require a test certificate in most cases.

Ideally test equipment should be used but no one-time DIYer is going to possess this.
Therefore, legally, no one should be doing DIY electrics apart from the simplest of jobs.
I would question that as technically the testing results can be obtained using other than the "approved" test equipment. If the alternative test procedures can be proved to be technically correct then the results are valid. Though some jobsworth will insist they cannot be valid without using the "approved" test equipment. ( that is me speaking as an electronics design engineer )

Ironically if you translate "emergency" as a descriptive prefix into German you get the prefix "Not".

Emergency Exit = Notausgang

EDIT German grammer corrected.

if you translate "emergency" into German you get the word "Not".
Ahh Das ist good. :D

Even better, why not have a disclaimer or note on this topic when posting stating Electrics should only be undertaken buy qualified persons ?

I would question that as technically the testing results can be obtained using other than the "approved" test equipment. If the alternative test procedures can be proved to be technically correct then the results are valid. Though some jobsworth will insist they cannot be valid without using the "approved" test equipment. ( that is me speaking as an electronics design engineer )
But if the DIYer has no test equipment then the circuit should not be energised (except simplest of jobs).

But if the DIYer has no test equipment then the circuit should not be energised (except simplest of jobs).

Therefore is an Electric sub forum a good place on a DIY "emergency" forum? With no disclaimer or note to those posting?

Rules.
10) Posts covering DIY gas work are not allowed.
Why is Electrics excluded?

Therefore is an Electric sub forum a good place on a DIY "emergency" forum? With no disclaimer or note to those posting?
Possibly not but your original complaint was that people are told to get an electrician because we have deduced that the questioner is not competent.

Have you noticed that people get very agitated when told that, by law for the work they are proposing to do, they must tell and pay the local authority.

Rules.
10) Posts covering DIY gas work are not allowed.
Why is Electrics excluded?
Because gas work is policed far more stringently than electrics.

That's just the way it is, for whatever reasons.

I am not complaining, just asking a question and suggesting the forum has a disclaimer before posting by the DIY'er as even the forum rules make no note on Electrics.
And i thought you only pay the local authority under a building notice if the installer was not Part P. The authority then test it.
That is with my local authority the case.
"You need only make a Building Notice where the installer is not registered under
the Part P scheme."

Defective gas work can result in a really big impact, not only on the house and people involved but also other houses and innocent people nearby.

Shoddy electrical work is less limited in the harm it can cause, the death and destruction is in almost all cases limited to the house and people involved ( unless the fire spreads next door ).

Defective gas work can result in a really big impact, not only on the house and people involved but also other houses and innocent people nearby.
I appreciate that, but like you say, electrics can cause fire and endanger those living in the house, and neighbouring properties, long after you have sold up and moved on
Any way, i have raised the point, not moaning or having a go, just discussing the topic.

And i thought you only pay the local authority under a building notice if the installer was not Part P. The authority then test it.
Yes, but we are talking about people who want to do it all by asking questions on the forum.

I did say once that DIYnot stood for

Do It Yourself & Notify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back